Mark III Head Info

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Al

Reaction score
Hello, I Just bought a Mark III head and would like some information about it. It is a reverb head with four 6L6s and two EL 34s. The serial number is 26640.
Should this head be a hi-gain amp? It could use re-tubing but I would like to know what sound to expect to know if there are any other problems. Also, what cabinets do you guys use with this head? Any information would be appreciate and in the mean time, I will continue to search the forum.

Thanks!

Four 6L6's AND two EL-34's would make it a coliseum version. In these heads the EL-34's go into the middle two sockets with the outer four being the 6L6's. If it is a coliseum, nothing less than a 4x12 cab will do it justice.
I would go on the hunt for one of the old halfback Boogie cabs with the EV speakers. I am liking the Tung-Sol re-issue 12AX7 preamp tubes these days.

JOEY B. said:
Four 6L6's AND two EL-34's would make it a coliseum version. In these heads the EL-34's go into the middle two sockets with the outer four being the 6L6's. If it is a coliseum, nothing less than a 4x12 cab will do it justice.
I would go on the hunt for one of the old halfback Boogie cabs with the EV speakers. I am liking the Tung-Sol re-issue 12AX7 preamp tubes these days.

+1

if you do indeed have a coliseum head. its a green stripe. translation: you have an amp that is loud enough, bold enough, and has enough gain to make a marshall major run into a corner wimper and cry for mommy. If you don't know what a marshall major is, go do some reading. I also concur on the half back and the tung-sol reissues. but if you don't feel like hunting for a vintage cab, try and get a full stack. remember your amp when cranked will put out over 200 watts, so 4 vintage 30's ain't gonna cut it. A full stack of either G12-T75's or EVM 12L's (vintage or the reissues) would be freakin killer. literally, I bet if you put a cat in a cage, put it about 8 feet from the stack and cranked the *****, it'd probably kill it.

Just because it is a coliseum does not make it a green stripe. I have a blue stripe coliseum simulclass. A 2B coliseum too...

TIMV you are correct, mine is a blue stripe. I assumed it was a green stripe until I was using a flashlight to change the tubes and I noticed that the color was not green but blue. The head has a lot of noise but I only replaced the preamp tubes. I only had EL 34s so I need to get some more 6L6's.
I have been playing for 25+ years but I only used a handfull of amps but other than my Hiwatts, they have all been high gain amps. I currently use a 5150, single and dual rects. Should I expect this kind of gain from the Mark III? If not, are there modifications that can be done or is this a different kind of beast.

BTW, a friend bought the full stack for $1,000 but only wanted the cabs (2-4x12s closed/opened) and let me have the head at 1/3 of the total price. Are the matching cabs worth persuing or are there more suitable cabinets?

In my opinion there is not any 4x12 cab more suited to the coliseum head than the ones that your friend has. Especially if they are loaded with at least two EV's each. $1000 for a Coliseum head and two halfback 4x12's is below crackhead price. :lol: BTW, invest in an ISP decimator to help quieten that beast.

I checked with the guy that has the cabs and he said that they were Celestion 90s (at least the open portion). Joey B sent me a senting and the amp truely sings through my Mesa Traditional cab for solos.
Is the coliseum the same as the 300 series (try to get the terms correct)?

I was assuming green stripe from the serial number. 266 is a pretty late blue stripe. given the price point your friend got the stack at, try and get those cabs from him. otherwise it could be a hell of a hunt to find a halfback boogie with ev's

Back