Mark III Green Stripe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groovetuber

Reaction score
Could you guys tell me a bit about the Green Stripe. I recently came across a Green Stripe combo with all options and I'm wondering how it's different from a Mark III Blue Stripe and also a Mark IVB. Does it handle pedals well like the Mark IVB? Thanks for any help.

Don't worry, buy that thing. It's the best of the whole series. Mine is a 1990 in the 26800 range and Ian from the Boogie Files has a 28353 from 98.
In the last 8 years of production, Mesa only made between 1500-1700, buy far the fewest produce III's other that the +'s and Black Dots.
Even having the IIC+'s and the MK IV, this amp has an awesome chrachter and a superior tone.

They handle pedals very well. It is part of one of my stereo setups with the 1992 DR split out to the III with a TC SCF. To me, it's got more of the audiophile grade like the MK IV, but you get alot of the IIC+ essence.

Mark III blue stripe/green stripe = INCREDIBLE. you really can't go wrong with either. the green stripe has 10 watts over the blue due to the class A tubes being wired in pentode rather than triode in the blue. the power section of the blue stripe is IDENTICAL to that of a IIC+, minus the trannys of course. and even there, some people have blue stripes putting 480-490 volts to the plate (mine does 495 and that number hardly ever changes), which means if you upgrade the pre to IIC+ spec, you might have a closer IIC+ than a IIC+ owner. the cleans are awesome. my favorite clean though is to put the volume on 7, switch to the lead channel, put the lead drive in the 7-10 range, switch to neck pickup, and roll back the volume til it cleans up. VERY warm, full, sounds more fendery than some fenders ive heard, and if you pick hard, it'll overdrive really sweetly into that thick SRV sort of drive. make sure it has the EVM12L. I never really looked at the EV's until I got my mark III that had one in it. I will never play another speaker ever again. In short: you cant go wrong with either. the blue stripe is more raw/aggressive. the green stripe is a mark III preamp through a IVA power section. its more smooth, laid back sounding. (that having been said, either one has that throw you up against the wall bash your head in with a spiked bat and bite a hole in your jugular vein sound if you run it right)

I decided to go with the Blue Stripe. Here's the link for the green stripe:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/289988912.html

rabies said:
The green stripe is the only amp I've played (and I've had a TSL100, JCM 800, and RK1) that really scares me around 4+ volumes, lead channel with a Les Paul in drop D.

It's very intimidating. Similar to MOP metallica tones. straight up kick *** thrash metal amp with great cleans. For a great price too.

I run my blue stripe with volume on 7, lead drive on 10, master vol on 6 and lead vol on 7. dude its vicious

Back