Mark III Combos Stripes and Colisiuems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastforded

Reaction score
OK, so the Mark 3's came in stripes. Found the wiki. See mesa Also made "coliseum" models... but they were just heads? or they made coliseum combos? wonder if they could mod a combo to a coliseum or add reverb or an eq to these combos if not factory equipped? can they be re-wrapped if the outside covering gets scuffed and worn from wear/use?

found a good post about the stripes, but bad links.. but i managed to find some info...and some good posts on here as well. thanks.

I have been playing hard rock and metal music, so looking for a good, crunchy tone like the mark 2 c's..

I play small bars/clubs and house party type gigs, so nothing really spacious. Just want that tone..

Wondered if its better me to find the coliseum model? I don't know that I would ever need 'that much" and not sure if they made it in a combo..

far as the stripes, i know the mods to the stripe series definitely changed the tone.

If It did, not sure that i would ever really notice....

Any suggestions on a "stripe" color?

Anything positive or negative compared to other marks without stripes?

any thoughts or info appreciated!!!

"Waited a lifetime for my mesa"
8)

I have never seen a coli combo. As far as Mark III's go, if it doesn't sound great, change the tubes, if it sounds like crap after that it needs service. That goes for all stripes. The Mark III is a metal machine but it is also great for jazz, country, rock, etc., it is an awesome all around amp. For the money, a Mark III can't be beat. A Mark IV is about the same price as a Mark III, a IIC+ will be two to three times the cost. Re-finishing an amp can be tricky unless you know how, but if you do it a couple of times you'll be re-finishing all your amps. A Mark IIB with a Boogie studio pre-amp is incredible also. If you come across a Mark II or III coliseum and can afford it, buy it.

Markedman said:
I have never seen a coli combo. As far as Mark III's go, if it doesn't sound great, change the tubes, if it sounds like crap after that it needs service. That goes for all stripes. The Mark III is a metal machine but it is also great for jazz, country, rock, etc., it is an awesome all around amp. For the money, a Mark III can't be beat. A Mark IV is about the same price as a Mark III, a IIC+ will be two to three times the cost. Re-finishing an amp can be tricky unless you know how, but if you do it a couple of times you'll be re-finishing all your amps. A Mark IIB with a Boogie studio pre-amp is incredible also. If you come across a Mark II or III coliseum and can afford it, buy it.

Thanks. I saw something posted about the
Coliseum combos and thought it didn't look right. It was a pic of the from tod the combo and the back of the coliseum head...

Just found my mark 3 black stripe. Originally wanted a 2c but was also looking at the mark 3s so I am
Totally happy. Totally I think. Now in worried about the tubes I need, it doesn't have any of the pedals,
I'm not sure of its history and service records yet
Looking for some gear now that its on it way. It's a relief after all these years not knowing what it would be...

My music shop has a single dual and triple rectifier heads...
I took my guitar an demo'd all 3. Wow I wanted one that day but I have a practice amp...
That night it took a crap and its a door stop now... So I finally had a reason just was so torn on whack one what model what color what features new used vintage
Marks duals triples express plus 550

Finally watched a video on YouTube that jist grabbed me and it was the mark 3 blie strip. The head not the combo so it will soon even better than what they had setup. Wasnt a boogie caninent so I think mine will just sound better...

Looking for some good books now on the tube amps...
I made my own pedals years back ad love electronics just haven't had a reason to really learn about tubes... Till now

It was really worth the weight. It was hard always walking away from a mesa...

This one just fell into my lap!

Thinking my electric bills going up next week....

Based on the size of gigs you are describing, the non-Coli MkIII might be overkill, lol. Seriously. To get the Coli cooking you need to crank it. Not a lot of places you can get away with that.

nor said:
Based on the size of gigs you are describing, the non-Coli MkIII might be overkill, lol. Seriously. To get the Coli cooking you need to crank it. Not a lot of places you can get away with that.

Understated to say the least. I ended up with a mark 3 combo amp that's just extremely loud yet so crystal clear and absolutely crunchy...

Wow. Still in Shock and awe of this amp..

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back