Mark III combo vs. closed back

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groovetuber

Reaction score
How much of a difference is there between a mark III combo, which is of course open-backed, and a Mark III head with a closed back cab? I really like the size and look of the combo, so I'm really leaning towards that, but if tone is going to be majorly affected, I may go with the head.

I bought my MKIII Combo in '88. When I started playing bigger live venues the single speaker just didn't seem to cut it for the kind of music I was playing (Green Dayish poppy punk). I just couldn't get the low end tone out of the combo I was searching for. I then took the head out of the combo and got a rack mount kit and a Boogie Half Back 4-12 cabinet. I think it had EVs on the bottom and Black Shadows on the top. The best sound I ever had was with this set up! The cabinet allowed you to remove the back of two of the speakers. It gave me the greatest combination of a Fender twin and a closed back Marshall - but even better. Everywhere I played people would say "Man, that sounds amazing!" and trust me it wasn't my guitar playing. Plenty of low end but plenty of bite too. I was using a Telecaster with a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge. If I didn't live in NYC, this is the rig I would seek again. Ah the old days...

joepopp2.jpg

Buddy:

Good point! I had that setup as well and it was awesome too! That 112 Thiele really adds the bottom and it is a compact little rig with a huge sound. If you don't feel like hauling the 412 or you are on a tight stage, it's a great way to go.

Stu:

Sorry to hijack groovetubers thread!

That's me just jumping off my bass player's SVT. The landing was much less picturesque...

Back