Mark III blue stripe head for 799.99? Good deal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrissey

Reaction score
I'm still amp shopping and I've been hearing great things about the Mark III. My local music store has this in stock for 799.99 with footswitch. I was wondering if this is a great deal or not? It seems to be in good condition, but not sure about the tubes. I haven't tried it out yet, but they have posted it on their online website with picture. I play from clean rockabilly stuff to pretty much very high gain metal. Most importantly, I want the amp to do good with both. What's the wattage on these? What cabinets work well with it? Thanks!

Is it a simul class? A 60/100? A 60w? Does it have reverb? Does it have EQ? Does it have all the applicable footswitches? Is it a short or a long head? Does it have the slipcover?

Blue stripe, Long head, Graphic EQ, set up for simul-class operation, reverb. What do you think so far?

morrissey said:
I'm still amp shopping and I've been hearing great things about the Mark III. My local music store has this in stock for 799.99 with footswitch. I was wondering if this is a great deal or not? It seems to be in good condition, but not sure about the tubes. I haven't tried it out yet, but they have posted it on their online website with picture. I play from clean rockabilly stuff to pretty much very high gain metal. Most importantly, I want the amp to do good with both. What's the wattage on these? What cabinets work well with it? Thanks!

That's pretty much a "loaded" amp head ...but unless it is super-duper-immaculate clean, or some nice NOS tubes, it is an average price, and typical of market today. Counter with $650 in greenbacks and see if they bite. If not, see if they'd throw in some product that might make the deal better for you. Still, it's not a bad price by any means, so long as she looks and sounds right. And if you look at it another way, it beats rolling the dice with ebay.

FWIW, the wide head is wider than the old 112 cabs like the thiele and open-backed 112. So you'd pretty much be resigned to a vert 212, 412, or one of the modern "recto-style" cabs that accomodate widebody heads. this is not bad, of course; just an FYI. :)

Oh, forgot your wattage question: MKIII is 75 watts in Simul/15w in Class A.

Edward

if it looks good i would buy it. I paid 820 for my mark III a few months ago. But it came with a road case. Either way i am surprised a music store actually has a mark III.

Thank you so much for your replies. I'm gonna think about getting it. Depends on my funds. I'm gonna go head out and try it sometime. Good to know from you guys! Thanks again! Another thing..I take it that this works well with celestion v30's through a mesa cab...right? I wish I hadn't got rid of mine. Doh!

I would pay that price. The Mark III's are getting really popular and are going up in price. I am willing to bet that if you get it, you will keep it for a long time 8)

That's an average price. Not too low, not too high. That's what I sold mine for, but mine was in really good condition. I'm starting to regret selling it, but that's okay, I have an equally awesome amp in my hands now (Tremoverb). :)

If it suits your fancy, then I say go for it.

Latest posts

Back