mark iic+ & studio preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloc80

Reaction score
is studio preamp similar to mark iic+,expecially regarding the lead channel? what are the differences? is the circuit similar?

Both the Quad and Studio are based off the IIC+ and not the IIC. Mike B told me this.

this is an answer from marcus daniel from mesa:

The studio pre and the quad pre are both pretty different in tone from the MK II C+. They still have similar Mark Series characteristics and similar tonal nuances, but they'll never sound exactly like a C+. Neither to my knowledge were built with the C+ in mind.

To me the Studio Pre is in the same tone family as the IIC+ and any discernning ear will pick out the nuances between the two for better or worse but to say they are pretty different I think is a great overstatement. This is the type of comment I would expect someone to make about a Recto vs. a Mark amp but I guess it is all symantics.

anyone has compared studio pre with mark iic+ or another mark series amp?

carloc80 said:

Studio preamp versus Mark IVA:

Mark IVA: More gain, both new preamptubes so that won't be the cause. The Mark IV was also somewhat fatter and the studio was more raw, more mids.

Poweramp used: Mark IVA poweramp section.

carloc80 said:

My Studio Pre compared to my Mark IIIC+ is VERY similar in the tone character but I find the Studio Pre to be a bit less uncompressed and articulate with just a tad more gain on tap. The clean on the Studio is one of the most beautiful I have heard and beats the IIIC+.

today i tweaked with the eq of my studio pre and i have obtained a heavy scooped sound very similar (if not identical) to the sound of Master of Puppets and justice for all. i also use a mesa 20/20 and a Hot Plate..
Master...master....

carloc80 said:
today i tweaked with the eq of my studio pre and i have obtained a heavy scooped sound very similar (if not identical) to the sound of Master of Puppets and justice for all. i also use a mesa 20/20 and a Hot Plate..
Master...master....

Settings?

I now have my studio paired up with a 50/50. Killer!

I have done a few mods to my Studio pre amp added some caps and resistors and even swapped a couple around as per c+ schematic and also have put the bass shift and deep control on switches as they were on all the time I found great improvement of sound switching out the bass shift as my sound doesn't sound as boomy. I do not own a c+ so I cant compare but the improvement from stock is a world apart IMO

i am actually going to mod my studio pre to c+ specs and i suspected that bass shift cap was there all the time to its not so tight.

where did you add the deep cap? the one before the eq?

cap 302 15uf removed from ground and joined to a 15k resistor to ground switch goes across 15k resistor and put a .47uf cap across resistor 207 1.5k same as cap 302 originally was.

my settings are:

studio preamp:
volume 9
master 2
treble 8
bass 2
mid 2
lead drive 8
lead master 4.5

lead fat on
lead bright on

graph eq: