Mark IIC+ non-EQ help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les_paul

Reaction score
I just picked up a 60 watt Mark IIC+ combo with reverb but no graphic EQ. I have a show coming up in the next few weeks and I'm having a rough time getting a good metal sound. I am playing an Ibanez RGT42 with DiMarzio D Activators. The crunch sound is much more important to me than the clean. I'm primarily the rhythm guitar player in the band. If you need more info, let me know but I need help soon.

What kind of tubes are you running? Maybe get an EQ pedal for the loop and scoop the mids. Post your settings, maybe some tweaking can help. If you can, try a thiele under the combo with an EV12L and maybe an MC-90 in the combo. But scooping mids, tuning v1 to at about 8 or so and the lead drive up there will be a good start. Checking your tubes is a good idea

Scott

V1: 9
Treble: 6
Bass: 2
Mid: 3
M1: 3
LD: 8
LM: 2.5
Presence: 4

The tubes are a pair of STR420s, which I know are pretty old as Mesa no longer uses them, plus if I recall they have outright said they weren't the best. I'd imagine that the preamp is about due up too, however because of the condition of the amp I'm reasonably sure that it has hardly been used believe it or not. I've noticed that this amp is pretty finicky about minute changes; more so than most other Boogies I've owned.

As far as a GEQ goes, I'd imagine that Boss and MXR will not yield the best results, so what other option should I consider?

Bottom line: this may not be MY amp at the end of the day. Interesting that I can't get the "holy grail" of amps to work for my needs.

I've heard good things about the MXR 10 band in the loop.

maybe try adjusting the mid to 5 and presence to 2, and crank the lead master a bit more... louder = better sounding with this amp. You probably will benefit from better tubes. I have 420's in mine now, but I'm trying to use them up to get to some str 415's. preamp tubes may breathe some life for you too. It could have been well used, but babied. Stick an EQ in the loop first and see what happens, it may be what you are after

scott

definitely not the amp for you ! ship it to me ... :D

as a quick fix, try putting
M1 to 0 and then
LM to 8, then
pull all 6 (!) knobs out,
then put presence up to 8

... and work your way up with M1. see if that brings you closer to "your" sound ? then start fine-tuning with T, B, M, push / pull of M1, etc.

MB put out sample settings for all music styles, which are really good in case you don't have them.

Use this as a basic, the last nob is presence set that on 2 or 2.5

http://www.fwrproduction.com/FWR_Produktion/Notes_2.html#1

bigmouth said:

M1 to 0 and then
LM to 8, then

... and work your way up with M1. see if that brings you closer to "your" sound ? then start fine-tuning with T, B, M, push / pull of M1, etc.

MB put out sample settings for all music styles, which are really good in case you don't have them.

THAT'S IT!!! That's the one! It was a bit crispy though, so I pushed the bright back in and tweaked the treble down a half notch. Brought the bass up about a half notch too. Razor sharp but not too bitey.

By the way, thanks for looking past my n00bness and being gracious. Maybe I'll have to post here more.

Louder is indeed better with these. I can get it to about 4 before I can't deal with it anymore.

Try the new MXR 10 band eq is fantastic for that and include a gain level. you can use it in front of the amp or on the loop.

Because of their midrange dominated sound, Mark's can't get very metal sounding without the GEQ. Any kind of EQ in the loop will get you what you want, even one of those cheap Fish & Chip 7 band EQ's. Just dial the amp in where it sounds good, and use the EQ in the loop to suck out the mids. Good luck.

bigmouth said:

M1 to 0 and then
LM to 8, then

Anyone have a copy of Mike B's Settings?

Back