Mark IIC+/III Settings Conversions to Mark V Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownieD2W

Reaction score
If you don't want to read all of this Skip to the second Paragraph --> I have been trying to convert various Mark IIC+/III settings to the Mark V for awhile now and for the most part I would like to think that I have been fairly successful, especially with Metallica related settings. But I would like to know in a little more detail what some of the features on Mark IIC+/III's actually equate to or how they actually affect the sound. I am completely unfamiliar with Mark IIC+/III's so don't hesitate to describe things in layman's terms or whatever is easiest to get the point across. I know some of this stuff has probably been discussed in other threads but I guess I am looking for a more straightforward version to use for a frame of reference so I and others can keep certain things in mind for our Mark V's when doing settings conversions.

I guess the main things I want to know about are the Pull Features and how each one actually affects the sound. And what the Master, Lead Drive, Lead Master actually equate to on the Mark V. So I guess I will just list it all out below so people don't have to run back and forth for reference or anything. Hopefully this thread will be helpful for more than just myself and any info is welcomed and appreciated.

Mark IIC+/III Knobs :
Volume (Pull Bright) :
Treble (Pull Shift) :
Bass (Pull Shift) :
Middle (Mark III - Pull Rhythm) :
Master (Pull Deep) :
Lead Drive (Pull Lead) :
Lead Master (Pull Bright):

From the IIC manual : (http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark II-C Manual - Maintenance & Repair.pdf)

"Set Volume 1 to about 7 and Master 1 to about 2. These are the two gain controls
used primarily for rhythm playing. Generally you will want to run the Volume 1 control as high
as possible without causing unwanted distortion, in order to have available the most possible
sustain when switching into the Lead mode. The Master 1 will control the playing loudness
without changing the tone. The Bright switch pullout on the Volume 1 control has less and
less effect as the control is turned up higher and will have no noticeable effect from about 8 to
10. Set the Treble control to about 7. When the knob is pushed in, the tone control
equalization is similar to that on old Fender amplifiers; when pulled out, the Treble control
frequency center point is shifted downward to give a more robust sounding midrange. Treble
Shift, when pulled, is automatically switched on in Lead mode to give a hotter, fatter lead
sound. Set the Bass and Middle controls to about 2 each. The Master 1 control (already set to
2) also incorporates the Gain Boost pull switch that can be used for adding extra bottom to
the amp's tone as well as a slight increase in gain.

The Lead Drive controls the amount of overdrive sustain and distortion; set it to about 8. The
Pull Lead switch built into this control performs the same function as the footswitch, namely
triggering the relay. You will see the LED indicator on the box go out when the Lead Drive
knob is pulled. The Lead Master controls the playing loudness in the Lead mode, set it to
about 2. The Pull Bright on this control only has effect on the Lead mode and not the Rhythm
mode, and adds gain and sustain as well as brightness. So, to summarize briefly: Volume 1
and Master 1 regulate the gain and the loudness of the Rhythm mode, Lead Drive and Lead
Master regulate the overdrive distortion and loudness of the Lead mode where Volume 1 still
provides the initial signal strength. Or, in other words, the amp uses two volume controls for
Rhythm (Volume 1, Master 1) and three volume controls for Lead (Volume 1, Lead Drive and
Lead Master)."

I don't know how these translate into the Mark V.

dodger916 said:
From the IIC manual : (http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark II-C Manual - Maintenance & Repair.pdf)

"Set Volume 1 to about 7 and Master 1 to about 2. These are the two gain controls
used primarily for rhythm playing. Generally you will want to run the Volume 1 control as high
as possible without causing unwanted distortion, in order to have available the most possible
sustain when switching into the Lead mode. The Master 1 will control the playing loudness
without changing the tone. The Bright switch pullout on the Volume 1 control has less and
less effect as the control is turned up higher and will have no noticeable effect from about 8 to
10. Set the Treble control to about 7. When the knob is pushed in, the tone control
equalization is similar to that on old Fender amplifiers; when pulled out, the Treble control
frequency center point is shifted downward to give a more robust sounding midrange. Treble
Shift, when pulled, is automatically switched on in Lead mode to give a hotter, fatter lead
sound. Set the Bass and Middle controls to about 2 each. The Master 1 control (already set to
2) also incorporates the Gain Boost pull switch that can be used for adding extra bottom to
the amp's tone as well as a slight increase in gain.

The Lead Drive controls the amount of overdrive sustain and distortion; set it to about 8. The
Pull Lead switch built into this control performs the same function as the footswitch, namely
triggering the relay. You will see the LED indicator on the box go out when the Lead Drive
knob is pulled. The Lead Master controls the playing loudness in the Lead mode, set it to
about 2. The Pull Bright on this control only has effect on the Lead mode and not the Rhythm
mode, and adds gain and sustain as well as brightness. So, to summarize briefly: Volume 1
and Master 1 regulate the gain and the loudness of the Rhythm mode, Lead Drive and Lead
Master regulate the overdrive distortion and loudness of the Lead mode where Volume 1 still
provides the initial signal strength. Or, in other words, the amp uses two volume controls for
Rhythm (Volume 1, Master 1) and three volume controls for Lead (Volume 1, Lead Drive and
Lead Master)."

I don't know how these translate into the Mark V.

Well thanks for that reply, that was helpful in understanding a bit more about the Master, Lead Drive, and Lead Master functions and some of their pull features, and the Pull Feature for the Volume control. I am still curious about the Pull Deep feature on the Master Control and overall I am still wondering about what you can do with the Mark V to compensate for things like, Pull Deep and the Pull Shift on treble control. And I would still like to know how certain things relate from the Mark IIC+/III's, specifically how the Volume and Master controls on the Mark IIC+/III's correspond to the controls on the Mark V. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, please do actually, but I guess I will just list how I think or assume some of the controls correspond.

- Lead Drive = Gain
- Treble Middle and Bass are given except for the Pull Features
- Volume = Output on the Mark V (guess)
- The main ones that confuse me for correspondence when making settings conversions is the Dual Master controls (Master & Lead Master) on Mark IIC+/III's obviously because the Mark V only has the one Master control. And the Pull Features, specifically the Pull Deep (Does this just add a bit more bass or scoop the mids a bit or what does it do exactly?) And how can you compensate on the Mark V for the various Pull Features excluding the Pull Bright's? What would you do to compensate for the Pull Deep, Pull Lead, and Pull Shift (treble) being pulled when transferring the settings to the Mark V?

Latest posts

Back