Mark IIC+ --> DENIED!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaGravy

Reaction score
I've been a longtime lurker of this board, only posted a few times. I think the experience that happened to me today probably is worth sharing.

I've owned a few mesas over the years, and always have been very happy.(Stiletto I, Dual Rec 3ch, Mark III), and I currently have a mark IV combo & horiz 2x12 rectifier cab.

I've been quite happy with my tone thru the mark IV, but a few months ago, I had the opportunity to hear a IIC+ live, and I subsequently was bitten with the "Gotta have one" variety of GAS. I was in the process of saving the obligatory 2k+ price tag that these bad boys command when a Mark IIC with simulclass and EQ came up on craigslist for $1000. I thought that this would be a great buy, and for another 350 or so I can have the guys at mesa mod it to IIC+ specs and have myself a great deal.

I went to the shop, and looked at the back, and to my incredible suprise, there was a small "+" on the back, right next to the "mb". All the tube sockets were hand labeled, and the tubes looked ancient. I turned it on, and it sounded OK, but not as I would imagine a IIC to sound. I asked the shop owner "are you sure this is a IIC?" and he assured me that it was.

I took down the serial # (114xx), walked out of the shop, and called mesa, hoping to confirm if I had just stumbled upon a IIC+ for $1000. After finally getting through, one of their very helpful and friendly service reps informed me that the amp was not EITHER, it was a IIA. What a dissapointment!

The moral of the story - ALWAYS call mesa to check! Boy would I have been pissed if the first time I had that conversation with the service reps was after I owned the amp!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Rock on.
-Chris

You should tell the store, or post your findings on craigslist...

That would have been a huge fiasco had you already bought it. I have Mesa's # in my cell just in case I ever need to talk to them in such an occasion. I think I would have called them on the spot for confirmation though because if I came across what appeared to be a IIC+ for that cheap I would not be leaving until I figured out if it was or not. I would in fact sit on the amp so that noone else could even look at it. If it was a Fri-Sun I would be there Mon morning and repeat until I found out if it was in fact or not a IIC+.

BTW let us know the name of the shop so that we are not tricked by this shop owner and can avoid going there all together.

If the amp has an effects loop, it is probably not a IIA. This very informative website says a serial # of 114xx is a IIC. Check to see how many pull knobs the amp has on the front panel. This website will tell you how to do an effects loop test to determine if it is a C or C+. It could be a C that has been previously upgraded. :eek:

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/serials.html

11,400 should be a IIB. The only vintage Mesa afficianado left at Mesa is Mike Bendinelli.

Some B's, although extremely rare have been converted with the IIC+ circuit board. There are supposed to be around 15 in existence.

If you can get curcuit board shots, I have for our forum members verified about 50 IIC+'s. Sadly, everyone is breaking out the sharpie and trying to quadruple thier profit on a bogus amp.

The tips on the Boogie Files page are good to check if it's a real IIC or not. The effects loop test is important as well. There's a pretty big difference between even IIC and IIC+. Thankfully, you didn't buy that amp first. Mesa always been very helpful but they've told me their serial numbers for IIC+'s aren't complete so I'd do the effects loop test and look for the "pull shift", "pull deep" above the knobs. Just be patient, one will turn up. If you can find either IIC or IIC+ without Graphic EQ for a good price, you can have Mike B. mod it for the Graphic, I think it's about $450 or so last time I talked to him. Might be a good option if you can find one cheap enough as the non-graphic models are usually much cheaper.

Whammyless said:
The tips on the Boogie Files page are good to check if it's a real IIC or not. The effects loop test is important as well. There's a pretty big difference between even IIC and IIC+. Thankfully, you didn't buy that amp first. Mesa always been very helpful but they've told me their serial numbers for IIC+'s aren't complete so I'd do the effects loop test and look for the "pull shift", "pull deep" above the knobs. Just be patient, one will turn up. If you can find either IIC or IIC+ without Graphic EQ for a good price, you can have Mike B. mod it for the Graphic, I think it's about $450 or so last time I talked to him. Might be a good option if you can find one cheap enough as the non-graphic models are usually much cheaper.

Can a 60 watt MkIIb be modded to have the 5-band eq installed as well? I've been contemplating sending mine to Mesa to have them service it, & I may have them install an eq if its possible...

Whammyless said:

At this state in the amps status and rarity, the loop test is nearly inpossible to perform unless you find the amp locally or after your purchase. The serial number and circuit are the only true identifiers of a real C+. There are a lot of early true C+'s with the remaining IIC stock faceplate, especially in the 15" chassis's. Now seeing a Pull Deep face plate with a serial number between 12600 and 14500 is a pretty obvious confirmation. Just note that there are two different Pull Deep faceplate with different EQ toggle functions. They are both correct, but the early EQ plates were phased out around 13200.

As far as IIC's go, will the simulclass models have the "100" PT or the "105" PT? I'm sure the X101 was available on both models. Or is there a gray area between the "100" and "105" as far as serial #'s and production dates go? :?:

Thanks everyone for your replies. The guy at boogie was pretty sure it was an A (I gave him the exact serial #). It was irritating to get the run around from the guys at the shop, but I won't mention their name, as they are a pretty well respected place of business here in chi town, the amp was being sold on consignment, and to their credit, they were selling it for a fair price for a IIA, I suppose.

I will just have to go back to saving for the IIC+, unless I decide on another amp between now and then (I've been eyeing the Bogner Shiva ever since my band mate had one for a few weeks. He's an even bigger gear ***** than I am!)

Like has been said, if you didn't talk to Mike Bendinelli at Boogie, you may have gotten some mis-information. A Mark IIA with serial# of 11000+ would be a freak of nature. I don't blame you for not telling where the amp is. I would have to go back for another look. Check out the MarkIIC+ criteria seaction of this website, it clearly desribes (with photos) the differences in all the Mark II amps.

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/IICPlus.html

+1

Get back, do the fx loop test and get mike B on the phone.

The bad tone could be beacause of the original tubes, wich would be over 20 years old...

With new tubes it could be a beast if it's a real C+.

Hi !
I have a MK2c #114xx with all options. I also have a 2c+ #128xx and a 2c #122xx.

My MK2A is about #4000.

I have 7 mark series Boogs, and the 2c #114xx sounds the best of them all !

Keep yours !

Stian

Back