Mark IIB verification

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groovetuber

Reaction score
I have been looking around for a Mark IIB, as I am most likely going to sell my Mark IV long head, and I came across this: http://tampa.craigslist.org/msg/259345904.html

It's advertised as being a Mark IIB, but judging by other Mark IIBs I've seen, I don't think it is one. It has 4 switches and all the other Mark IIBs I've seen have 3. Can anyone confirm this?

It appears to have had the effects loop mod done that might explain the extra control in the front. They would put the control in the reverb spot in non reverb amps. The other toggle might be simu-class selector. or possibly the 60 watt/100watt selector.
Otherwise it does appear to be a Mark IIB. The tranny's bigger than my Mark IIB's though, the C's had bigger tranny's.....

What's the serial number???? Maybe it's one of the Holy Grail......

Just my observations

The guy sent me a bigger picture of the back, and it does appear to be a 3 digit serial number. It's hard to make out, but it does look like 421.

If that's the case, it might be a Mark IIA, Which makes sense, cause it looks like it's got a 15" speaker. If it is, it's Rare amp, fewer than 250 made.

You know what, I think it might be a IIA. Why would it have the serial number of 421 if only 250 were made? Do the numbers not correspond to how many were made? If it is in fact a IIA, do you know how much it'd be worth?

Dutchman said:
If that's the case, it might be a Mark IIA, Which makes sense, cause it looks like it's got a 15" speaker. If it is, it's Rare amp, fewer than 250 made.
Yeah, (I think) it's a large chassis not the standard small chassis Mark II that's why it looks unusual.

Here's a link to Mesa Boogie Serial numbers.
3 digit serial numbers had 15" speakers. the Mark 1 was the first 300 of the lineage, then the Mark IIA.
IMHO you can't go wrong buying any Mark series amp, they are all good with some being unbelievably spectacular.

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/serials.html

Yes, Marks are definately amazing. I have a Mark IV, but I am selling it on order to get a IIB. I only use the clean channel on the Mark IV, so I figured I'd go for something a little simpler since I don't need all the gadgets. Mark IV cleans are incredible though. I've heard great things about the Mark IIB cleans so I'm not too worried.

I think the 4 switches are for:

Power on/off
Standby
EQ
60/100 watt

Not sure of the order.

Biggest mistake I ever made in my life...there's been a few...was selling my original MkIIB (1979) to buy a MKIII head when they came out. The MKIII was cool but nothing like the MkIIB was. Go for it!!! I WANT MY MKII BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dcgdc5 said:
Biggest mistake I ever made in my life...there's been a few...was selling my original MkIIB (1979) to buy a MKIII head when they came out. The MKIII was cool but nothing like the MkIIB was. Go for it!!! I WANT MY MKII BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D . I'm so glad I didn't sell mine, now. A little tweaking and you realise quite how good the vintage style Boogies are.

Back