Mark IIB Mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebpedersen

Reaction score
Thanks to the super-helpful members of the Boogie Board, I've isolated the cause of a problem with my '81 Mark IIB...and also established that I'm not qualified to fix it!

Seeing as I'm going to have the amp worked on anyway, I wondered what mods you guys would recommend getting done?

Amp is an HRGX 12" combo.

Cheers!

FX loop mod is absolutely mandatory. Makes the loop actually useable, and really makes the lead mode sing.

I guess that's one of the 'book mods', right?

So, FX loop is a must...are there also footswitch (stop popping) mods and reverb mods as well?

No, no footswitch fix as far as I know, but I'm sure that there's some sort of fix for the reverb that's in the books. Talk to customer support, they will help you through things.

This is why I have to rely on the board when things go wrong! International calls to Mesa from the UK are super expensive and their UK distributor never answers the phone.

Thanks for your help anyway, I'll try and email Mesa

>Photi G< said:
FX loop mod is absolutely mandatory. Makes the loop actually useable, and really makes the lead mode sing.

Hey guys. Where can I get the specs/directions to do the loop mod? Mosty, I want to improve the lead sound to brighten it up and make it less "farty". Right now my IIb it only does the "Aqualung" or "Abraxis" tones, and not Marshally, Peavey, or even modded Blues Jr. type rock tones. I read a lot about this mod, however, no one seems to know what it is, and the only option mentioned is to mail it to Mesa. Cool, but that's not a financial option for me right now. 8)

New on the board. This is a dup of a post I dropped elsewhere, hope that's not an offense. I'm finding topics as I go though.

Giddily bought a MkIIb combo (60w, reverb, international AC transformer) in early 80 and spent 20+ years trying to make it sound like I wanted, both as a combo (which is not my preference) and through Bandmaster (w EV SRO's) and irresistably for the last 7 years a Tremolux cab (with Eminence Copperheads). Swapping speakers, with no Magic Revelation, for the last few years finally got me to go shopping and ended up, tentatively, with a Fender SuperSonic that had more of what I was looking for. Dropping a JBL 12 in the Fender made it love that's lasted for several years now. The Mesa keeps drawing me back from its sheer BUILD beauty and I still have this irrational need to go back and try again. Never works, always it's (stealing a Miller line) A world-class Almost. The Supersonic is easier, more versatile and just ALWAYS sounds right. I worry about it's long-term reliability, it's not built like the Mesa. Planned to sell the Boogie and still can;t quite. Here I find talk about inherent issues and fixes for the amp. Confession and introductions over, I guess what I'm lookign for is a last-ditch attempt at making the Mesa into something I like to PLAY as well as admire, before I finally decide to give it a working home it deserves.
thanks
Floor's open..

Latest posts

Back