Mark IIB Coliseum Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AimSnapFail

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Ive been a long time lurker, but this is my first post. I recently picked up a '82 Mark IIB Coliseum for 500 bucks that needs a little TLC. The fan was making a ridiculous noise in Sam Ash which is why I got it for cheap, which was an easy fix. I was surprised at how much gain it has... and has already given my 2ch dual rec the backseat in playing or a bit.

But anyway, the main reason Im here is 2 questions:
1. One of the faders is broken off. I know mesa sells new faders, and I know each one is attached to a board. Does anyone here have experience with soldering a new one in? Im handy with a soldering iron, Im just looking for some tips before I dive right in.

2. I might be looking to get her into a hardwood head-shell, but Mesa's prices are steep for my wallet. Any recommendations on where I can have one built? Ive seen a bunch of posts about someone named GTS around here makes them, but I haven't found any contact info.

Either way, I appreciate any and all help, and I look forward to some Mesa related discussions!
(Heres a pic of the IIB Coli http://imgur.com/D2lNBEU )

A broken fader will most likely be a rather time consuming repair. My amp tech told me to take care of my faders because it involves taking the front panel off if you need to replace one. I would guess that means you would have to detach every pot and switch on the front panel, but I could be wrong.

Rick Mark2A said:
A broken fader will most likely be a rather time consuming repair. My amp tech told me to take care of my faders because it involves taking the front panel off if you need to replace one. I would guess that means you would have to detach every pot and switch on the front panel, but I could be wrong.

Thats what I was afraid of. Im going to be retolexing the cab in the upcoming weeks, so maybe ill take it all apart and see what I can do... or call me local tech in the morning and see what his prices are. haha. Its just 1 tab thats broken off! ugh.

i ordered slider replacements directly from boogie back in '07....

$4.55 PER SLIDER, PLUS 2.96 PER KNOB, 37.75 FOR 5 SLIDERS AND KNOBS, PLUS 5.80 SHIPPING.

boogie eq slider replacement
The power board needs to be unscrewed and moved, then the face plate needs to be removed by unmounting all the pots, switches and unsoldering or clipping the pilot light. With the face plate off, you will have to unclamp each fader from the top and bottom of the chassis slots. Then you can have access to the front and back of the fader board. Un solder the old fader and solder in the new one. Mesa has the part in stock, it should be #588535.

gonzo said:
i ordered slider replacements directly from boogie back in '07....

$4.55 PER SLIDER, PLUS 2.96 PER KNOB, 37.75 FOR 5 SLIDERS AND KNOBS, PLUS 5.80 SHIPPING.

boogie eq slider replacement
The power board needs to be unscrewed and moved, then the face plate needs to be removed by unmounting all the pots, switches and unsoldering or clipping the pilot light. With the face plate off, you will have to unclamp each fader from the top and bottom of the chassis slots. Then you can have access to the front and back of the fader board. Un solder the old fader and solder in the new one. Mesa has the part in stock, it should be #588535.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Ill be ordering a new slider in a little bit. Thank you as well for replying to my other post.

rvschulz said:
gts makes some every nice stuff - send him a PM.

From my research thats my conclusion as well, I may very well have to send him a PM. Thanks!

What type of hardwood are you considering?

MESA uses 7/8" stock with 1/2" bind dovetails, it does it pricey.

Hardwood is expensive and if you asks a local cabinetry maker would suggest 3/4" stock which is fine.

RR said:
What type of hardwood are you considering?

MESA uses 7/8" stock with 1/2" bind dovetails, it does it pricey.

Hardwood is expensive and if you asks a local cabinetry maker would suggest 3/4" stock which is fine.

Thanks for the reply, and the information on wood/dove size. I wasn't thinking anything too extravagant (especially if I see if my father wants to give it a go) but probably maple, maybe red curly maple. There are a few places that have some that's not TOO pricey. One company i spoke to mentioned they use pine, which does look great, but I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions?

I assume your father has the woodworking facilities (e.g. table saw, router, router collars) ...

Harbor Freight sells affordable half-blind dovetail jigs for these type of cabinets. Takes some practice but once you get the hang of it, you'll go dovetail crazy if you are a weekend woodworker warrior (like me).

Poplar and sugar pine are some sweet affordable planks.

Oh, by the way congratulation on the Mark IIB Colessium. There's a website that discusses Mark II and if I'm not mistaken there were less than 200 Mark IIB 300 Series built.

You have miles and miles of headroom clean on the clean channels. These are one of the most loudest amps out there. I only recall short lived Marshall, HiWatt and maybe Sound City that build 200 watt+ amps.

Nice amp score! :wink:

RR said:
I assume your father has the woodworking facilities (e.g. table saw, router, router collars) ...

Harbor Freight sells affordable half-blind dovetail jigs for these type of cabinets. Takes some practice but once you get the hang of it, you'll go dovetail crazy if you are a weekend woodworker warrior (like me).

Poplar and sugar pine are some sweet affordable planks.

Oh, by the way congratulation on the Mark IIB Colessium. There's a website that discusses Mark II and if I'm not mistaken there were less than 200 Mark IIB 300 Series built.

You have miles and miles of headroom clean on the clean channels. These are one of the most loudest amps out there. I only recall short lived Marshall, HiWatt and maybe Sound City that build 200 watt+ amps.

Nice amp score! :wink:

Turns out my father doesn't have a router... so my aspirations for building a cabinet may be temporarily put on hold. I figured id need a lot of practice either way before I destroy some nice hardwood. For a pine cabinet I was recently quote around $235 (Stained, lacquered, and hardware) which seems like a deal to me so that may be the route im going to take once I fix the slider issue.

But the amp does sound great! The cleans are as good as my '65 Fender Tremolux and TONS more headroom. I was quite surprised how much gain this monster has. It absolutely nails the Santana/Metallica tones I bought it for. I figured for 500 bucks, I couldn't go wrong with another Mesa!

AimSnapFail said:
For a pine cabinet I was recently quote around $235 (Stained, lacquered, and hardware) which seems like a deal to me so that may be the route im going to take once I fix the slider issue.
I wouldn't put a Coli or any Mark series chassis into a pine cab.
Pine might look nice but I don't think it'd hold up well.
As we all know the Mark series chassis weigh quite a bit.
And pine, especially if there was a reverb cut out in the bottom....
...one slight miscue and the cab would crack. Could be fatal ;-)

gts said:
AimSnapFail said:
For a pine cabinet I was recently quote around $235 (Stained, lacquered, and hardware) which seems like a deal to me so that may be the route im going to take once I fix the slider issue.
I wouldn't put a Coli or any Mark series chassis into a pine cab.
Pine might look nice but I don't think it'd hold up well.
As we all know the Mark series chassis weigh quite a bit.
And pine, especially if there was a reverb cut out in the bottom....
...one slight miscue and the cab would crack. Could be fatal ;-)

Thanks for the tip GTS. I was thinking about just stripping and retolexing, save some time and money. I saw that you did one a while ago in a Bruno Marvelon tolex/Wicker that looked amazing. Ive had good luck retolexing a few things in the past... hardwood just looks classy! (But so did that Bruno/wicker combo)

Your Boogies: Dual Rectifier and 300 Series Coliseum, talking about a palette of MESA amp tones. In my opinion that's a great contrast having those two amps, covers a lot of ground.

RR said:
Your Boogies: Dual Rectifier and 300 Series Coliseum, talking about a palette of MESA amp tones. In my opinion that's a great contrast having those two amps, covers a lot of ground.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've owned/tested a lot of them, but the IIB and 2ch Recto just kind of fell into my lap and I couldn't be happier. (Once my IIB is looking mint again that is.)

Back