Mark IIA head shell - Can I put an Express 5:50 inside?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pusher

Reaction score
A guy is selling an empty head can that previously held a Mark IIA amp head. He measured it for me over the phone, and it sounds very, very close to being able to fit my Express 5:50 amp head.

I'm breaking up my single 12" combo and found this on Craigslist. Has anyone tried this?

Is there a reason that it won't fit? The only unknowns are whether the mounting screw holes will line up, and if there is room enough for the reverb tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pusher

The Mark chassis is 17.5" wide. The Express?
The Mark faceplate is slanted. The Express, straight. Might be an issue.

I don't think so, unless there is a long version. The guy measured the opening for the head at 20.5".

I'm probably going to have to take my amp with me when I go see this thing.

OK, just to finish up this thread, the answer is 'yes'.

I picked up the head cab for a MKIIA ($60), after extensive measuring, and it all fit together. I had to drill new top mounting holes, as they didn't line up. The reverb tank just barely fit in the bottom, and did not produce any hum. I kept it in the bag as per advice found on the webs.

It took the better part of an afternoon, but it was worth it to me. I was going to have a cab custom ordered through Mather Amp Cabs for around $275.

After I find a 1x12 cab for my speaker, I'll probably take it all apart and try my hand at re-tolexing the cab.

So, bottom line - Mesa 5:50 Express will fit nicely into a MKIIA long head cab.

Does anyone think I should add a fan to the back of the box?

pusher

Back