Mark II B channel switching problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squigglefunk

Reaction score
My lovely MKIIB is having problems switching channels. Mainly that it won't. :(

It works perfectly fine in the clean channel, but when you use the pull switch or a footswitch it makes a buzzing sound and doesn't pass a signal anymore. It sounds like the relay is getting stuck or something.

I guess my question is this an easy part to replace or clean or something? Or should I take it to my "local" boogie authorized repair man. (About an hour drive)

thanks

Try some deoxit on the all the pots, especially the push pull pots. If one is bad the rest will follow........

Boogiebabies said:
Cake work.

cool, I guess I'll need to open her up, since you've been so incredibly helpful I don't suppose you know where to order the proper relay for this :oops: :D

Boogiebabies said:
Cake work.

cool, I guess I'll need to open her up, since you've been so incredibly helpful I don't suppose you know where to order the proper relay for this :oops: :D

cool, thanks so much for your help, I'll post pics when I open it up.

I guess after 2.5 decades of service it's allowed to have a breakdown :lol:

sorry for the long delay. I have been using other amps lately and didn't have time to look at it...

just an update, I located the relay and capacitor in question. No way is replacing this "cake work" IMO :lol:

looks like to me you'd have to remove the whole board, pots, tube sockets?

Anyway, I was examining the relay and saw it has small openings on the side, I shot some deoxit in there and let it work. Clicked it on and off a few times and at first it did nothing but then it kicked in and now seems to be working fine...

On a different note while I was busy focusing on the switching problem my friend pointed out one of the center power tubes wasn't glowing... sure enough it was completely cold to the touch. SO I have a dead tube. I wonder how long it's been like that :lol: I thought it sounded a little bit weird lately with less headroom and a bit of nasty distortion. Like I said I've been using other amps lately but hopefully I'll have this baby back in action soon!

thanks for the support and advice from everyone here. Long live boogie!

here it is almost into the new year and still going strong after a shot of deoxit, mesa rules!

actually, replacing the relay is pretty simple....and no, you don't remove the PCB to get the relay off. the relay has 6 legs that are bent out flat, and it sits on top of the board, the legs tacked down to the pads with solder. you do need a soldering iron with a small tip and narrow barrel, so you don't scorch everything in your path trying to get the iron tip onto the pad. suck off the solder on all 6 pads and the relay lifts off.

Latest posts

Back