mark II A vs. B vs. C vs. C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timjtitus

Reaction score
i've read that all of these amps are different, but how similar are they? the C+ is ungodly expensice yet B's sell for pretty cheap. if i've never played a mark II would the difference really matter?

I think the price is a dead give away to which amp is the ultimate MK series Boogie. If you want the high gain C+ type gain, it may be better to look at the MK III or MK IV. I saw this post and said, why lord why, not again. It's the vs.vs.vs.vs.vs.vs Rodan vs. Godzilla vs. Mothra vs. Hellboy.
If you are looking for a rock or blues amp, the IIB and IIC would suffice.
Good luck finding a IIC. They have mostly been converted to extinction.

oh-noes.jpg

If you can´t afford/find a IIC+, then the III or IV is a better choice than a IIB, especially if you want high gain. The C and C+ have more gain and a more searing voicing than a IIB, which has more of a Santana type sound.
The cleans are excellent on the IIB though, best Mark series clean I´ve tried.

I would recommend a Mark III, they sound similar (a little more aggressive and not quite as smooth) to a IIC+. And they are still pretty cheap, although the prices are increasing. The red, blue and green stripes are the most wanted. Eq and Simul-Class is a plus.

The Mark IV is also amazing, but probably more expensive.

I love the tone of my fully loaded red stripe Mark III.

mark1=lower gain...Carlos Santana
Mark2B=lower gain...Santana, Rolling Stones
Mark2C=higher gain...
Mark2C+=highest gain of all previous....Metallica, Dream Theater
Mark3=high gain, but not as refined as C+
Mark4=very high gain, similar to C+, but not quite...many modern bands use this amp

Note that a C+, 3, and 4 can all do low gain sounds very well.

Elpelotero said:
mark1=lower gain...Carlos Santana
Mark2B=lower gain...Santana, Rolling Stones
Mark2C=higher gain...
Mark2C+=highest gain of all previous....Metallica, Dream Theater
Mark3=high gain, but not as refined as C+
Mark4=very high gain, similar to C+, but not quite...many modern bands use this amp

Note that a C+, 3, and 4 can all do low gain sounds very well.

My modded MkI combined with a mild stompbox OD can achieve the "grail" that many Boogie fans are searching for. But some "scoff" at outboard overdrives. To each their own. :D

Latest posts

Back