Mark II A, B, or C, how can you tell?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_fender

Reaction score
Hey all, I found a used Mark II combo at a local Guitar Center. None of the clerks new if it was an A, B, or C (no surpize there... I almost always know more about their products than those guys do). There was no "+" by the power chord, so I know its not a IIc+. Like a dummy, I didn't think to get the serial number either. Looking at pics online, I'm trying to figure out what kind it was. It had 2 6L6's in it (I assume 50 watts), no EQ, no reverb, no Simul-class, and a EV speaker. It was a pretty great sounding amp. I was able to dial in some really great crunch sounds on the lead channel. It was a bit looser sounding and wasn't super high gain, more like a marshall style growl on the lead channel, so I'd guess it's an A or B (I've heard the C had more gain). Are there any easy ways to distinguish these amps?

if the knobs have silver metal in them like old fender amp then's it a A or B..if not and it's plastic, like mk iv style knobs it's a C.. that usally the best way..

I don't remember in particular if it had silver or plastic tip knobs (I wanna say it had black plastic), but I do know it had a pull shift on the bass and a pull deep (not gain boost) on the master control if that helps.

mr_fender said:
I don't remember in particular if it had silver or plastic tip knobs (I wanna say it had black plastic), but I do know it had a pull shift on the bass and a pull deep (not gain boost) on the master control if that helps.

That'll be a C.

Cool thanks. They wanted $1299 for it. It's got cream tolex and it looks to be in pretty good shape. It's a nice sounding amp, but I wish it had more of the extra options. If it had the eq, reverb, and simul-class. I'd probably be taking it off their hands.

Back