Mark I reissue tone readjustement when switching to 60 W?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driss

Reaction score
Hi there,
This is a question for you folks out there that understand the in/outs of the Mark I (or others)
When reading an article by Randal Smith about the Mark I reissue, he states "Switching between the 60Wand 100W settings also requires the tone and gain settings to be recalibrated"
I was wondering what exactly changes (technically) and what kind of reworking needs to happen? i.e., do you need to turn the volumes/gain less/more on 60W to attain the same sound/tone that you had with the 100 W position? etc...Anyone out there have any pointers to get me started?

Thanks

That's strange ... the original Boogie I have doesn't need any readjustment ... not that I can detect. I wonder why? I wonder what's different?

Hey KDove,

I was thinking the same, but I really don't understand the physics behind it to figure out why. I have noticed though, that somewhat, I get a sweeter/creamier tone with the 100 W.
Settings :Gain 1 at 7 an Gain 2 at 7, Treble 7, Bass 2.5, Mid 7, Presence 3
Master at 2.

100 W (in 8 OM jack) : Lots of sustain, anything higher than 12 frets sings like a bird. Very creamy, rich , sweet distortion. Below 12 frets, a bit too scratchy and buzzy. (A bit farty, and not clean cut singing a la Santana)
100 W (in 4 OM jack): less headroom, a bit harsher distortion
60 W (4 OM): a bit flatter sound (like not enough headroom), but clear distortion. a bit muddy, so tone knob on guitar is al the way high.
60 W with Tweed, more like a fender distortion. Doesn't explode in your face. A bit smoother, yet a bit "common" sound...i.e., you can't really tell it is a boogie (could sound like any Fender out there)

Your feedback is always appreciated

Peace

Driss

For what it's worth ... you are basically using the same settings I'm using except for master volume ... I probably run between 1.3-1.8 always. Use 60w watts ... when gigging 60w or 100w if I'm getting lost in the mix. But I still never go over 2 on the master. It gets tight (which may be what you are fighting). I do not have tweed.

I think the secret is this ... run at 1.5 or so and mic through a PA/monitor. It is so much better. In fact, I purchased a Fender Acoustasonic (solid state with two 8" and a tweeter) a couple of years ago ... an acoustic amp that I can sing through or mic acoustics & even my Boogie. It's like a mini-PA. So even when I play at home I turn two amps on ... there's a Shure 57 on the Boogie speaker.

When I play live I take the same rig now ... the difference in the amount of control is amazing ... plus I can add a bit of reverb in a dead room. My Boogie has no reverb. I always had a great deal of control with the Boogie. I'm not saying this is for everyone but no headaches on tone ... ever. It's like finding the holy grail for me. The mic is not showing in this picture ... so I could place my guitars in front of the rig. If it helps ... I have a few covers at the website in my signature.

Most of the covers ... had a "fetron" in the V1 tube slot that gave it a weird "zing". Different subject ... if interested search for Fetron. Bottom line is now it's all tube with an ECC883 in V1 slot ... just don't have clips with it. It's even better for me now.

A bonus: On reverb or delay signals ... they are screwed up by distortion. The best place to put them is after the speaker in the chain ... this accomplishes that too.

Good luck on your tone search!

PS: I have always run one 8 ohm speaker in the 8 ohm jack.

B_GTRFamily.jpg
[/img]

Thank you for your pointers...I have a small size Yamaha PA.
I will need to get some good mics but I think you gave me some great things to try and thinker with...
I really appreciate your efforts and total openess to help out. Some musicians don't like to share their stuff unfortunately...
BTW, your site has awesome music in it, i would suggest anyone reading these post to listen to your music. Kuddos

Peace

Latest posts

Back