Mark I Prototype

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadapple

Reaction score
I have a Mark I that I just had in the shop. They couldn't find the schematic for this model, so when the Authorized Boogie Repair Shop here called MB in Petaluma for the schematic, Mesa Boogie was very interested in this amp, who owned it currently, condition, original owner, etc.

The repairman was told that this seems to be a rare prototype Mark I amp, not sold from production. It is Serial number Hxxx series, with no graphic EQ, w/tan tolex, no push/pull knobs, 60/100 watt, tweed/power switch, standby switch, reverb control and presence control on the rear, effect in/out on rear with FX control on rear also that can double as a 4th gain control when looping the FX in/out.

They did the factory "mods" that were recommended, replaced some caps and resistors, a couple or controls and all new tubes, and I have to say I have NEVER heard anything like this before, and I've owned it for about 2 years now.

Crisp, clean, totally noiseless, no hums, no hiss, no rattles, nada..... Did I mention LOUD? I have a Recto-Verb w/extension cabinet and it doesn't even touch this Mark I in tone or volume.

Anyone know about this amp history? I can't find a Serial Number list with the H serial number (or anything close to it) at all, and am waiting for the repair tech to talk with Mesa again next week.

The original Mark I's had serial #'s that started wit the letter "A". The re-issue Mark I's had serial #'s starting with the letter "H" and had the tweed feature on the power switch and no push pull knobs. What you have described sounds just like a Mark I re-issue. I used to own a 1978 MkI, and it was very loud too. :D

Does it look like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Mesa-Boogie-Mark-I-w-EVM12L-MK-I-Super-Clean_W0QQitemZ110283391094QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Latest posts

Back