Mark I mode... What the Hell is it for?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JOEY B. said:
Quoted from my friend "lesterpaul" about the Mark I settings:

All are in o'clock except for Bass and Treble. Output and FX send level are at 12:00 noon. :twisted: Hell yeah, it's loud. 8)

the monster Mk 1-
90 watts mk 1 mode/thick
gain -2:00
chan vol 11:00
pres. 2:30
treble-maximum
mid 9:30
bass minimum

eq sliders- 80 was **** near bottomed out...(+5 is top line...-5 bottom line..for those who cannot read my mind..its a lefty thing..we have fuc*ed up ways...)
240 -2.5
750 0
2200 +1
6500 +3

This mode does not play nice with any other mode (sliders activated) on the amp when the graphic EQ is dialed in this way, FWIW.

The crazy thing is that I came up with these settings based on my experience with my '78 Mark I. I set the amp with the guitar volume off, and said "try this". VERY minimal tweaking yielded a monster tone through the pair of EV thieles. The response about the guitar volume rolloff is an absolute fact. I could play on this mode all day long. There will be an Electra-Dyne/Mark V comparison coming soon. Stay tuned. :wink:

Just tried it out again today, to make sure I wasn't falsely claiming that the Mark I mode now works for me all of a sudden....

...Its settled! The amp was worth this one mode alone! OMG! I still can't get over how I can get such a usable clean sound when I roll off the volume and when I roll back on...its this brutal toneful wall of distortion! In the crunch and edge mode, when I roll off ...I get clean but it loses a lot of fullness and body. The Mark I mode maintains the tone unbelievably well.

My settings...

Pedals...

Tube Screamer TS9DX
Gain - OFF
Level - FULL
Mode +
Tone - 3:00

Aphex Punch Factory (Compressor)
Drive - 5
Volume - 8

FX Loop - MXR Carbon Copy
Regen - 12:00
Mix - 12:00
Delay - 3:00

Amp ...

Mark I Mode - Thick - 45w Mode - Tube Settings in the back.
Gain - 10:30
Master - 12:00
Presence - 12:00
Treble - 1:30
Mid - OFF
Bass - 9:00

EQ On - Preset - 12:00

Guitar - Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette (maple fretboard)
Pickups - Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF Bridge / Neck

Heritage Softail said:
Anybody using a pedal EQ to scoop bass out when in MK1 Mode?

I love the channel but it does not play well with others when foot switching. I have gain low, master high, bass out, mid, treb, presence up. When cranked loud as hell, it sounds great. Thinking maybe of getting the floor MXR 10 band to handle cutting bass on the floor instead of on the EQ, so it does not screw up all the other modes.

My first Boogie was a MK1, that I bought in 1983. It was muddy as hell on the bottom end when rocking out. I added a 6 band DoD EQ that they don't make anymore. That solved the problem. Your best bet would to buy the 6 band, to boost your mids. The 6 band MXR EQ is much better than the 10 band. Also I used to set the EQ on that amp like Hammett has his set here on his 2 C+s, from 1986.

kirk1986rack.jpg

It's the early fusion sound used by players such as Carlton & Ford ...
I love it ... it's the only Mode I use so far ... haven't even felt the need to dial in anything else

Latest posts

Back