Mark 5 25 cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
I presently have an Express 5:25 Plus combo. I'm interested by the new Mark V 25 head but I don't know what kind of cab to go with it. I want something light (1x12 is ok).
1- What's the difference between a close back and an open back ?
2- What's the difference between the different Mesa 1x12 models ?
3- I would like to know your opinion on which cab would be most appropriate for the Mark V 25.

Thanks in advance

I'd chose a Mesa Theile with an EVM12L only because it's what I have (it's not very lightweight, though). I think anything would sound good depending on the sound you were after.

Closed back cabs tend to be tighter and more focused, whereas open back cabs are looser, airy, and fill the room in a different way. Closed back cabs excel under high-gain, open back cabs tend to be more versatile.

Depending on the tone you're looking for, just about any of our cabs work well with the Mark Five: 25 - 1x12 Mini Recto, 1x12 Theile, Widebody Open or Closed back, 2x12 Recto Vertical or 2x12 LoneStar cab, up to a Recto 4x12! Thanks!

GuyB said:
I presently have an Express 5:25 Plus combo. I'm interested by the new Mark V 25 head but I don't know what kind of cab to go with it. I want something light (1x12 is ok).
1- What's the difference between a close back and an open back ?
2- What's the difference between the different Mesa 1x12 models ?
3- I would like to know your opinion on which cab would be most appropriate for the Mark V 25.

Thanks in advance
Closed back cabs tend to have less highs and in the case of a Thiele offer more bass.
1x12 do disperse sound differently, less focused but different speakers can do the same or a similar thing.
For example a 10" will have a wider dispersion than a 12" speaker but have less bass than a 12"
So besides an open back or closed back cabs, using a cab for different sized speakers may be of interest.

The speaker itself is a whole other ball game and can/ will greatly affect your tone.

Guy, granted there is a response here from Authorized Boogie related to the MK 5-25 but you might want to repost your question in the Modern Amps section
to get more responses based on those who have a Mark 5-Twenty Five.
More likely to be Mk 5-25 owners in that section of the board than here (vintage amp section).

Thanks to all of you, I appreciate your answers and comments. I'm beginning to see some light !

Latest posts

Back