Mark 3 vintage amp with sound clips

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmbighair

Reaction score
hello everyone :)

I was browsing eBay earlier for Mark amps and came across an old one with some sound clips the seller posted. Check it out, theres some real tasty tones on this one, my favorite is the Randy Rhoads crunch and the light overdrive sound as well....

I have never really triend any of the Mark amps and have recently become very very curious about them. After actually listening to these clips, I realize that I really like the sound A LOT, maybe even more than my mid 90's Dual Rectifier which I love! :D

The crunch in the clip sounds really mid rangy and sharp (it could prolly use a bit more high end but i'm guessing that could be dialed in better). What do you guys think of this tone, is it a good representation of the Mark lineup?...I'm really impressed with the organic sound. (the guys playing is not 100% spot on for you purists out that, but I dig it for a 'hip factor' that has a lot of character and personality)

It seems like older amps (even as new as 10 years) just sound better, almost as if they're broken in like a good jacket or somethnig?:wink:

what do you guys think of the price too? by the way, I am really not the seller. Just came accros it....ok, i need some feedback , any and all would be appreciated!

8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180042544709&fromMakeTrack=true

The Crazy Train riff sounded like he had too much bass dialed in, but otherwise was pretty representational of a mic'ed, untreated tone. I actually liked the "Nutshell" clip (Track1-2MixDown.mp3) better (perhaps because I'm an AIC freak).

In any case, $500 for a Mark III combo is a steal. I'd go for it.

SeasonOfPain said:
The Crazy Train riff sounded like he had too much bass dialed in, but otherwise was pretty representational of a mic'ed, untreated tone.
I do agree about a bit too much bass but otherwise I DID think the tone not only kicked a** and really DID sound like Randy's unique crunchy sound which i've always thought was really hard to 'authentically' reproduce.

SeasonOfPain said:
In any case, $500 for a Mark III combo is a steal. I'd go for it.
really?...yeah, i wasn't sure cuz i've only recently started my research. But the only bad thing about the old Mark3's is the whole "non-separete eq" unlike the newer Mark 4's right?....BUT, the actual tone AND sound totally is just raw (maybe even better than the newer ones?)....ya kinda have to pic yer battles on that one....i guess its overall kick *** tone or overall versatility....any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back