Mark 3 Aggrevation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe somebody can help. I have tried a ton of different things with this amp but am unsatisfied with rhythm and lead channels. The clean channel sounds incredible but no matter what settigns I use the other to channels sound unrefined and muddy. I have retubed the power tubes and reconed the speaker but it sounds like crap. The sound is like I said really unrefined and muddy and the speaker is flailing and flubbing out. I need help, I don't want to get rid of this amp bu I need it to do a little more than just have a good sounding clean.

Is it a preamp tube problem or a speaker problem?

Cheers

Definitely buy a new set of preamp tubes first, that should help improve the tone quite a bit. It can be a ***** dialing in the Mark amp sometimes, but it's a very tight amp capable of a lot of great tones. Also which speaker are you using?

Pull the master volume out for "deep" & keep the bass knob down to 1, no higher.

If you've got a combo you should be using an EV if a tight low end is important to you.

good luck.

therealboogieman said:
Maybe somebody can help. I have tried a ton of different things with this amp but am unsatisfied with rhythm and lead channels. The clean channel sounds incredible but no matter what settigns I use the other to channels sound unrefined and muddy. I have retubed the power tubes and reconed the speaker but it sounds like crap. The sound is like I said really unrefined and muddy and the speaker is flailing and flubbing out. I need help, I don't want to get rid of this amp bu I need it to do a little more than just have a good sounding clean.

Is it a preamp tube problem or a speaker problem?

Cheers

Yeah its got the Black Shadow speaker in it. Question. I know that if you use tubes other than mesas that the amp needs to be rebiased. It currently has EH preamp tubes in it, is bias an issue as well? if so can that be solved simply by going back to mesa tubes?

Cheers

Another question, I saw this guy that ran a patch cable from the send straight to the return in the effects loop, what does that do?

only the power tubes are related to "bias". You can use any preamp tubes you want. i suggest just sticking w/Mesa power tubes.

therealboogieman said:
Yeah its got the Black Shadow speaker in it. Question. I know that if you use tubes other than mesas that the amp needs to be rebiased. It currently has EH preamp tubes in it, is bias an issue as well? if so can that be solved simply by going back to mesa tubes?

Cheers

Causes a lot of feedback: not recommended.

therealboogieman said:
Another question, I saw this guy that ran a patch cable from the send straight to the return in the effects loop, what does that do?

"Black Shadow" could mean celestion, emminence or EV.

therealboogieman said:

Cheers

Flub is caused by too much bass in the pre-amp, especially with any distortion. Keep the bass below 4. Add it back after the pre-amp with the built-in Graphic or a pedal in the loop.
Many think you need lots of low end and that it sounds good at bedroom levels, but it won't cut through in a band situation.

Yeah I have done that, I don't know I think maybe my problem is preamp tubes, who knows, I'll star there and see how it goes. Any recommendations for preamp tubes?

when was the last time you had a look inside the chassis? you sure all your capacitors and resistors and pots are okay?

Latest posts

Back