Making your TOV-combo into a head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc52

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have put my Trem-O-Verb combo up for sale here in Denmark because of the weight and my new found joy; Marshall JMP.

But it is hard to sell anything in these times, so if it doesn't sale, then I want to make it into a head.

I know everything would upside down, but I could live with that.

So what do I need to make it into a head?

Shell - where to buy, or should I make it my self?

Any other tips or advice?

And a second question: the "package" in the bottom of the combo (below the speakers) is that the reverb and where should I put in the headshell?

And how about a fully closed kabinet for two 12" speakers, where do I buy that? Because I would put the two V30's into that. It has to be good quality.

But keep in mind that it has to be reversible, if I'd sell the combo one day.

Regards Peter from Denmark :D

It would be better to make it the right way up, with the chassis at the top of the head box like an Express. Essentially exactly the same as what you have now but not as tall and without the speakers. The 'package' in the bottom is the reverb unit and needs to go on the bottom of the box, just the same as it is now with the Output end (where the grey cable goes to) as far from the power transformer as possible to reduce hum pick-up.

I don't think Mesa makes any head box that's the right size (other than the original Tremoverb one, I'm not sure even the Dual Rectifier is quite the same size), and it would be stupidly expensive in Europe anyway - even if you can't make it yourself, there are small cabinet builders who could do you one for far less. If you get the same builder to make a 2x12" you can have them match perfectly too.

My honest advice is to keep it - you'll regret selling it. I know they're heavy, but I wish that hadn't put me off owning one for years - now I've got it, it's really not *that* heavy, and it makes me sad that I was missing that great tone for all that time. I'm not by any means a big guy either, I've just got used to moving it... but I do it as little as possible :).

Tried finding a picture on the web but couldn't. Made you a 30 second photo shop. Recommend keeping the TOV but make a headshell for it. While your at make a 2x12 cab and pull the speakers from the combo.
tverbcombotohead.jpg

I did converted my combo into a head/half-stack. I contacted the Mesa rep from my area and did a special order for the head shell and a 4x12 Oversized Recto cab w/ Tan Grille.

You'll see by the pic that it's "upside" down and there was no way around it. I'm pretty used to it and it makes for a great conversation piece! By and large, I leave the 4x12 cab at home and just bring the empty 2x12 cab out for practices and gigs. I always wanted a 1/2 stack so even though it's totally overkill for my needs, I've no regrets.

If you don't want the chasis mounted "properly" (meaning upsidedown), I'm sure a good wood working guy could make you a custom head shell. I'd start w/ your local music shops and see if they can do it or have any customers that are DIY kinda guys that could make you one

DSCF0007.JPG

My friend Ed Degenaro had Mesa make him one ..... It was at the top so it was not up side down .... in purple a few years ago.

I would think Mesa would make a other if you want..... Or just take the idea and build one or have one built there.

Like others have posted, the main problem is that it will either be upside down, or on the wrong side of the headshell.

The combos have the chassis at the top, where the heads have the chassis at the bottom.

why not just flip the head cab upside down? move the handle and feet, you'll have some holes to deal with but, your lettering, will be right. The combo shell could be turned into a 2x12 extention cab.

Thanks for all the answers!

I have made up my mind and I'm going to build a headshell myself and place the amp in the top of the shell, so that it doesn't turn upside down.

I am also going to buy a closed cabinet, where I will put the two speakers from the combo into and keep the comboshell if I someday should change my mind and sell it.

:D

Latest posts

Back