LSS TUBES- EL 34 vs EL 84

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrhd28

Reaction score
I think I have a bad tube in my LSS- when I tap it, it kind of jangles. SHould I try just a single new EL 84?

Would it make sense to try a single EL-34?

Or a whole new set of EL-34's? How would the sound differ?

Thanks

pjrhd28 said:
I think I have a bad tube in my LSS- when I tap it, it kind of jangles. SHould I try just a single new EL 84?

Would it make sense to try a single EL-34?

Or a whole new set of EL-34's? How would the sound differ?

Thanks
Short answer: EL-34s won't fit in the EL-84s sockets. They're not compatible.

If you're using Mesa tubes, you'll be looking at a matched pair. I think that's the way they are sold. I'm not sure if you can tell they're color coding from the tube itself. But, I'd make sure that all of the tubes are matched. If you want to change your sound, be it for sooner breakup or whatever sound you are looking for, then replace all of your power tubes together with a matched quad.

On the LSS the EL84 tubes are the only tubes you can use. I don't know, since it is a class A amp, if you need matched tubes. The manual probably tells you.

If the amp is less than 6 months old and you are the original owner the tubes are covered under warranty. So call Mesa and see if they'll replace it. They'll tell you whether you need a pair or a single.

Latest posts

Back