LSS Tube Rotation?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if rotating the power tubes in my LSS would help extend their life seeing as how 90% of my playing is on the 5 watt setting. Any thoughts?

Interesting thought - hopefully someone with a clue can comment as I'm interested as well...

It's funny you ask that. I thought the same thing. I tend to use 15 watts the most on channel 2 and 30 on channel 1 but yes, some tubes will be getting stressed more than others.

It sure can't hurt to rotate now and then.

brianf

I know the power tubes are el84's and the rectifier tube is a 5y3, but can someone tell me what all the other tubes are(ones with metal caps over them) are?...and can I just swap all the tubes out without any special equipment?...thanks in advance

The LSS has 12ax7 preamp tubes and EL84 power amp tubes and a 5Y3 recto. You do not need tools, just pull them out carefully, and also take care when putting them back in. The metal covers on the preamp tubes require a quarter turn... left.

Take 'r easy

I think they are the best quality (new) tubes out there. I use them in everything. I have been very happy with the tones that I have gotten with them.

The only tube better IMO is the NOS Mullard tubes... but they are very rare and expensive now days.

The JJs that I use are V3: 12AX7, V4: 12ax7, V5 (verb): 12AT7; then of course the power tubes. My V1, and V2 tubes are NOS RCA 5751's

As far as JJ's go I am in the opposite camp. Pre amp tubes are OK but the power tubes are terrible (To me).

If you can find EL34's or 6L6's that don't rattle I'll give you a gold star :lol:

I've never tried their EL84's though.

The EL 34's and E 34L's I tried went into a Marshall TSL122. No matter where I set the bias these tubes sounded like I put a heavy blanket over my amp. They also rattled like a jar half full of marbles.

In my Deluxe Reverb (6V6's) they sounded OK but again rattled just awful.

A buddy had the same isue in an F50 with 6L6. Rattle, rattle and more rattle.

brianf

I like JJ power tubes a lot, mine don't rattle at all.

I have heard mixed reviews of their preamp tubes but I have JJ's as my power tubes and rectifier tubes and I love them.

Tone is very subjective, check out lots of tube makers if you're shopping around. I've had great luck with JJ's personally and I'd buy them again.

I know this has been posted before but I forget the dealers - where are you guys getting your JJ's from?

yup. Eurotubes are the experts in JJ's.

I buy all my tubes from thetubestore.com though. They are just a 20 minute drive from me so I'll take the amp I'm retubing with me and try out the tubes for rattles first.

brianf

I presently use JJ's in all my Mesa amps (DC-5 1x12, Tremoverb 2x12, Dual Recto, Triple Recto & Stiletto heads) and have not experienced a problem with power tube rattle.

Have you tried bending the metal tube stabilizer wings inward? That might help solve some of your problem.

Latest posts

Back