LSS THROUGH A GREENBACK!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lprstratuser

Reaction score
...Just for the heck of it, I hooked up to the above recently...and OMG, what a change of palate! Greenbacks break up so nicely when pushed, while providing arguably the best Ceramic Magnet toned performance for the money. The sheer blistering tone that came out of Ch 2's higher gain settings was astonishing. So this is what "Good Break-up" is all about!!
Then, I hooked the C-90 back up and ran BOTH of them together...WAY COOL! I was able to hear the tighter bottom end from the C-90, but I was getting the ear-candy storied breakup from the Greenback layered into the overall experience at the same time...!! Want that silvery "I-can-hear-the-paper" resonance tone and feel from your Strat ala "Blue Jean Blues"...it was pouring out of the Greenback! Anyone with a 1x12 Combo should add an extension cab loaded with one o' these to have the best of both worlds...those of you with 2x12 combo's...you 're in for a treat and all you have to do is a swap. Anyway, it really brought home what you can do when you have a low watt design that can exploit what that speaker does...you shoulda heard my Les Paul with this thing in the 5 watt mode...all of the harmonically rich detail you need for clean, and fat, EVH style breakup for the dirt...Gotta Love it!

Sounds interesting! I wonder if I could get away with that on a LSC 50/100 on the 50 watt setting?

I have an empty 2x12 cab i was working on as a little project, and i had decided to put greenbacks into it. Now i can't wait to get it done! Eventually, i'll pair the greenback cab with a mark iv head for another amp setup to play with...

Remember that the Greenback is rated at 25W. Paired it with the c90 your max power handling is 25W.

ja22y said:
Remember that the Greenback is rated at 25W. Paired it with the c90 your max power handling is 25W.

Wouldn't that make it a 50 watt cab?

MikeK said:
ja22y said:

Wouldn't that make it a 50 watt cab?

Yes, it would be a 50W cab assuming both speakers are the same impedance. (i.e. both 8 ohms or both 16 ohms.)

Half the power would go through the greenback, and half through the c90. So max power would be 50W as that would send 25W through the greenback.

the LSS sounds so much better with any other speaker...

my has had a greenback for 6 months...less volume, but much more rock and roll

theoretically the 30 watt amp may blow the 25 watt speaker, but i rarely play that loud, and if i do, just plug into a separate cab as well

this and a 12at7 in V1 make the amp

geddyentwistle said:
the LSS sounds so much better with any other speaker...

my has had a greenback for 6 months...less volume, but much more rock and roll

theoretically the 30 watt amp may blow the 25 watt speaker, but i rarely play that loud, and if i do, just plug into a separate cab as well

this and a 12at7 in V1 make the amp

If you're running in 30W mode out of the 8 ohm speaker jack it runs at 35W+.

Have you tried a 12at7 in the phase inverter as well? I have not, but that would help the clean headroom in theory.

When you say the 12at7 in V1 makes the amp, can you describe the change you like? I'm just curious as I haven't tried that tube in that slot either.

thanks for the 35 watt tip

12at7 in V1 makes the gain much less buzzy... i also did it in my dual rec

putting one in the phase inverter is a new idea to me, but i'm not chasing clean headroom, at least not right now...i like the clean right on the edge of breakup, so a boost pedal or loud power chord overdrives it...

good to know

but the greenback really kicks the amp to a different place...either in the combo, or using an extension... the stock speaker is just so bad

Latest posts

Back