LSS...thats some expensive mud!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well I finally picked up my LSS 2x12 the other day, and after spending a LONG few days endlessly tweaking it both at home and in the studio, I've got to say i'm a little dissappointed...

CH 1 is lovely, probably the best clean i've heard in a new amp, but trying to dial in any clean gain on CH 2 is near impossible!

There seems to be an inordinate amount of low mids that come in when the gain control is turned up, and the rest of the tone controls just can't reign it in.

I know my best answer is to put an EQ in the effects loop and dial out around 400hz, but i just feel you shouldn't have to do that.

So i went back to the store and tried the 4x10 and it seemed a lot better a much tighter bottom end.... well problem solved you think, just get that one.

imagine my surprise when i enquired about the cost.

in the US a LSS 2x12 = $1799rrp (US). in Australia = $4600rrp AUD ($3266 US on a bad exchange day.)

that's pretty bad. but the 4x10?

US = $1849rrp, $50 more. AUS $5300rrp!!!!! What the **** IS THAT???

So now i'm stuck with an amp i paid a fortune for, and i'm looking at another $700 for an upgrade worth $50US.

I hate to say it but i'm just insulted, and i'm pretty sure i'm going to return the amp and spend my money on a tweed twin or something similar, at least fender have reasonably equitable prices across the globe.

I know boogies are expensive here, but how can you justify that kind of mark up?

BTW i'm looking for a mesa email address on their site, but i can't seem to find one, cause i'd like to ask them about this too... any ideas?

cheers...

BTW i'm looking for a mesa email address on their site, but i can't seem to find one, cause i'd like to ask them about this too... any ideas?

Mesa doesn't answer customer questions via e-mail at this point, at least here in the States. They respond via phone. Here's their US number: US Domestic Support: (707) 778-6565

Hey, I had the same problem, but I worked through it - Took me weeks though, not days! I'm really happy with channel 2 now.

If you've searched this forum (there's been some posting about this) and tried everything else, try using the optional 35 watts speaker output. Its not quite as nice with channel 1 so you have to take some treble out there, but it puts some more teeth in channel 2 with high gain.

This was not the final solution for me though - I keep it in the normal 30-watt speaker output. I was able to to use the gain controls and tone controls on the amp and guitar to get it to "nasty up".

roundaboutmusic said:
Hi Guys,

Well I finally picked up my LSS 2x12 the other day, and after spending a LONG few days endlessly tweaking it both at home and in the studio, I've got to say i'm a little dissappointed...

CH 1 is lovely, probably the best clean i've heard in a new amp, but trying to dial in any clean gain on CH 2 is near impossible!

There seems to be an inordinate amount of low mids that come in when the gain control is turned up, and the rest of the tone controls just can't reign it in.

I know my best answer is to put an EQ in the effects loop and dial out around 400hz, but i just feel you shouldn't have to do that.

So i went back to the store and tried the 4x10 and it seemed a lot better a much tighter bottom end.... well problem solved you think, just get that one.

imagine my surprise when i enquired about the cost.

in the US a LSS 2x12 = $1799rrp (US). in Australia = $4600rrp AUD ($3266 US on a bad exchange day.)

that's pretty bad. but the 4x10?

US = $1849rrp, $50 more. AUS $5300rrp!!!!! What the f%&# IS THAT???

So now i'm stuck with an amp i paid a fortune for, and i'm looking at another $700 for an upgrade worth $50US.

I hate to say it but i'm just insulted, and i'm pretty sure i'm going to return the amp and spend my money on a tweed twin or something similar, at least fender have reasonably equitable prices across the globe.

I know boogies are expensive here, but how can you justify that kind of mark up?

cheers...

This is not an amp you would want to rush judgment on

mainly because it is so adjustable

I have the head, now plugged into the Classic 1x12 widebody
cabinet.

Channel 2 does "lots" of great things, I discover something
new with each tweek, with all the different pickups I have
on diff guitars, I have tone heaven all over the place

I sampled all of the combo versions, and like the 2x12
for clean. But the 1x12 for dirt and bite.

May want to give a different cab a try

Mesa doesn't answer customer questions via e-mail at this point, at least here in the States. They respond via phone. Here's their US number: US Domestic Support: (707) 778-6565

I'm sorry that isn't true, Michael Wolf has contacted me back a few times when i send an email, to the complaints sction or w/e it is on the mesa site. I just told him my situation im in australia 17 and my parents wouldnt' apricate me calling america.

Surprisingly i got replys from him both times, as mentioned time and time again Mesa customer service is A+++

But yeah i agree, booige prices are crazy here in australia, but then again not many people own them, im not sure about america but i think there much more common, i mean out here u say you play a boogie and peopel go WOW, if u hear of one in a local music shop, all guitars make the pilgrimage from all over to vist it :twisted:

Michael

thanks for your replies guys,

I just thought you'd like to know that there was a happy ending to my story...

i called up the aus. distributor and they agreed to drop the price for me. apparently they'd placed an ad some where with a lower price and were forced to honour that price.

So now i've swapped to 2x12 for a 4x10 and I'm MUCH happier.

In fact i'd say to anyone who is thinking of buying a lonestar special to really keep the 4x10 in mind, the difference it makes to the low mids is amazing. (should have listened to you ned!)

of course, if you're here in aus. you may want to get on to it in a hurry, before pro-audio jack up the price again...

it kind of makes me wonder if they didn't voice the lonestar series for the fillmore speaker (it's in the manual after all) maybe it's just be, or just the amp i had, but the c-90 just doesn't seem to sit right to my ears.

anyone ot any updates on whats going on with the fillmore?

cheers...

roundaboutmusic said:
it kind of makes me wonder if they didn't voice the lonestar series for the fillmore speaker (it's in the manual after all) maybe it's just be, or just the amp i had, but the c-90 just doesn't seem to sit right to my ears.
I don't know much about the Filmore speakers but I notice this board everyone thinks about (or try) different modification for their amps from changing tubes to who knows => "voodooo" ... black magic

I've experience many different type of speakers from ceramics, alnicos: Celestions, Fanes, EVM, Eminence, Altec, Jensen, Weber and feel that a change of speakers makes a world of difference in your amp. Maybe its just me :?

I have to agree with RR. Speakers make a huge difference in your tone - or they can. Much more than changing tubes and maybe as much as changing PUPs in your guitar. I have only heard of the Fillmore speakers on this board. Are they a production model from some manufacturer?

In changing speakers just make sure you get the right impedance match and enough of a power rating to keep from blowing them out.

Glad the 4x10 is working out for you.

I'm sorry that isn't true, Michael Wolf has contacted me back a few times when i send an email, to the complaints sction or w/e it is on the mesa site. I just told him my situation im in australia 17 and my parents wouldnt' apricate me calling america.

Surprisingly i got replys from him both times, as mentioned time and time again Mesa customer service is A+++

I stand corrected. When I tried e-mailing regarding a technical, I didn't get a response. I ended up calling.

Hmmmm. My Lone Star Special 1x12 has a "Black Shadow" speaker in it. How many different speakers do they put in in these things? And what are the characteristics?

Channel 2 does "lots" of great things, I discover something
new with each tweek, with all the different pickups I have
on diff guitars, I have tone heaven all over the place

This is SO true.

Just last night, I found that in Channel 2, 5 watt setting, setting the drive to about 10:30 and the gain to about 2:30 makes for an awesome drive tone - signle coil OR humbucker - that also sounds great with a fuzz or distortion stomp.

<3 this amp. :D

at first, i thought the same, but here are a few suggestions, and now i'm REALLY happy:

1) change the V1 tube...i used a JJ, but try a non-mesa tube, and maybe even a 12at7

2) get one guitar, and mess with the eq a lot...for me, the key was to almost eliminate the bass

3) try the different non-eq settings, from speaker output to hard bypass...

the problem with this amp is that it does TOO much...i can get "life been good" single coil bite to tons of over drive, and everything in between

Latest posts

Back