LSS - Loud Enough for gigging?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about getting a LSS. I play in a classic rock band with another guitarist, keyboards, drums and bass and we don't mike our instruments. Usually gig at the local bars with a few small outdoor parties thrown in. Is the LSS loud enough to cover things? Thanks!

Matt

Hi Matt, Well I did have a special, but playing unmiked was problem because on those occasion where people invariably ask you to turn up it changed the whole dynamic of the amp, cleans dirtied up,and dirty became too "lively". I chopped it in on a classic which stays pure at high volumes and I get asked to turn down now! The Special is a gorgeous amp at sensible volumes though.

I just gigged with mine last night and we were quite loud. The clean can dirty up if you get the master up, but that kind of depends on the tubes you are running. On the dirty channel, I was the loudest thing in the band easy.... :twisted:

Oh ya!
I have been giging with my LSS head and 2 1x12 EV SRO loaded classic cabs for about two months now, some outside. The amp held up flawlessly with volume to spare. There is a sweet spot, speaker selection was key for me. The EV SRO is a very efficent speaker @ 103 db. I like my cleans with some hair so head room was not as much of an issue. . I traded my Classic off for the Special because it was way too much volume and weight for my needs. I must say both amps are great, if I do need to mic I have a 906 that loves this amp. Try them both out.

Btw.. some of the gigs I used in 5 watt class A, No mics

zm4 said:
Oh ya!
There is a sweet spot, speaker selection was key for me.

Yeah, very true. I forgot to mention I am using a LSS head with a 2x12 cab with Celestion Blues, very efficient, loud speakers. I can't recommend them enough for the LSS. They help bring out the upper mids (something the LSS needs some help with) and are plenty loud.

Sounds good guys; I appreciate the responses. I have a LSC head that I will be selling to help finance the LSS. I'm not sure whether I'll go for the combo or head, but I'm leaning towards a head, since I have several different cabs I can use(an EV loaded Thiele, a 1x12 C90 open cab and 2x12 Carvin cab with G12s - Celstion wannabes).

BTW, are you guys using closed or open backed cabs?

Thanks again for the advice!

Matt

Not mikeing up your amp will not be a problem...

but if you try micing it, it should be plenty loud

:mrgreen:

mdortona said:

I have 2 1x12's one open and one closed, they complement each other nicely. The closed back is much more focused and tight. I use the open back mostly and add the closed back for more clarity as needed. The EV Sro "white coffee can" is getting hard to find, but after some swapping lots of speakers they are just what I need.

Btw.. As compared to the stock C90, the more efficent speaker will sound louder, The LSS with the EV's was on par in spl with the LSC was on 50 watts with the C90.

mdortona said:

Matt

I have an open back 2x12 that has the Blues and then a Marshall 2061cx 2x12 closed back with Celestion G12H30's. Both are great, they sound very different. I use the open back more for smaller stages for the sound dispersion and the closed back on larger stages.

mdortona said:
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about getting a LSS. I play in a classic rock band with another guitarist, keyboards, drums and bass and we don't mike our instruments. Usually gig at the local bars with a few small outdoor parties thrown in. Is the LSS loud enough to cover things? Thanks!

Matt

If you are just doing local bars and small outdoor parties the LSS should be fine.....although in some instances you will find yourself better off having it mic'd!!!

For medium to large size clubs it has to be mic'd! Also you stage sound feels smaller the larger the venues go.

Back