LSS 1-12 Speaker Again, What Next?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axman53

Reaction score
Not the first time I've asked about this, but now I've tried a couple replacement speakers and have some experience with the different sounds speakers can have in this amp. First, about what I play and how I use the amp: I play mostly classic rock stuff through a MESA Lonestar Special usually with the amp set in either the 5 or 15 watt mode. The 30 watt setting I may use if we're playing an outside venue, but typically we keep the stage volument low and mic the amps, so I rarely get a chance to crank this amp up. I use channel 1 totally clean and channel 2 is used with drive off, moderately overdriven using the Gain control and I use dirt pedals to push the amp in different tonal directions.

What I've tried: Eminence Cannibis Rex. This speaker really tightened up the bottom end (my main complaint with the original speaker) but I didn't like what the hemp cone did for the high end. I got this speaker new for a really great price so I figured it was worth a shot after reading how some liked this speaker in the LSS. After playing this speaker for a few months, I decided to put my money down on the Celestion Gold. The CG also did a fine job of tightening up the bottom end, but this speaker really shines with dirty to mildly agressive overdrive. I love this speaker when that's what I'm playing. But kick in a high gain pedal and this speaker becomes very grainy sounding. In fact I had to pull the Keeler Shove off my board and put my Keeley Fuzz Head back on because the Fuzz Head has a much more compatible sound versus the Keeler which can be quite extreme. Also, I find the CG being an alnico magnet doesn't have the low volume throw of a ceramic speaker.

So, what next? I was thinking the Celeston G12H 70th Anniversary. I'm pretty sure I want to go back to a ceramic magnet speaker. Would really like the input of someone who has gone down this same road. Thanks!

I used that speaker in a Marshall 2061cx cab with my LSS head. It sounded great dirty but was a little dark in a clean setting for me. Every rig is different though, so maybe it'll be what you're looking for.

Back