LSC with EL 34's What's it sound like?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picnic

Reaction score
Anybody using EL34's in a LSC 2x12 combo. I love my 6L6 Ruby 440's in my LSC on the clean channel. Beautiful Fender clean at all volumes. I want to retain that tone as much as possible. The drive channel is great, but I'm looking for a tone that's a little dirtier.

The amp can go EL34's so I'm exploring a tube swap possibility. Rather than go for another amp, I am looking for some feedback from anyone running EL 34's in an LSC. I play single coils only.

Thanks

I haven't actually swapped out the 6L6's for EL34's in the Lone Star, but I did use the slave out to connect it to an EL34 power amp which is connected to a speaker cabinet with V30's. What I noticed was that the Lone Star still sounded like a Lone Star, but it had less bass, more mids, and more highs. Channel 2 sounds great with EL34's. However, I still definately prefer the sound of the Lone Star with 6L6's over the Lone Star running into an EL34 based power amp. Although running both in stereo sounded really good! Having both 6L6's and EL34's simultaneously really created a big sound full of great harmonic content. Now I see why Andy Timmons slaves his LSC out to a Stilleto.

I know this wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but maybe it will help a little.

I have 2 links to clips I did in the "RIGS AND TONES" section if you care to look. I think I called it "LSC WITH EL34'S CLIP" or you can do a search for "dreads" and look for it like that.

Back