LSC w/ EL34L vs 6L6

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pageburst

Reaction score
Well I swapped out my JJ 6L6s for some JJ EL34Ls.

There really is a noticable difference in response and tone.

The LSC with the 6L6s is right there with my Vibrolux for a big lush Fendery clean tone. Pop in the EL34Ls and you have a much brighter sparklely clean tone on channel 1 with a great juicy crunch tone on channel 2. Very remeniscent of the el34 based Matchless and /13 amps I played through. Very boutiquey and touch sensitive especially in tweed mode.

While I think I may like tho overall tone of the 6L6s better the el34Ls provide for a more touch sensitive LSC imho.

Anyway all you LSC owners its definitely worth checking out. For the price of 4 tubes you get close to a brand new amp.

Hi Pageburst! Interesting, and I'm glad someone's getting good LSC/EL34 mojo. I guess I should try some JJs. I bought a set of Mesa EL34s at the ol' GC in town a while back, and my reaction was... "Enh." Compared to the stock 6L6s they sound stiff and one-dimensional. I haven't been happy with them, though I keep them around for backup. My JCM800, by comparison, is all juicy and touch-sensitive like nothing else. Different amp, different EL34 (not sure what, it's been a while since I opened it and it's been retubed so many times I can't keep track).

I just ordered some EH 6V6s through Tube Depot (that Reeder guy said he liked them a little better than JJs, so I thought I'd start with EHs) and I'm hoping to hear more juice this time. I also have some Yellowjackets on order, so I'm excited about changing things up. I haven't had an opportunity to delve too deeply into this yet.

However, it's going to take a lot to make me like anything better than those 6L6s. I feel like everything's perfect right now. :)

djw said:
Hi Pageburst! Interesting, and I'm glad someone's getting good LSC/EL34 mojo. I guess I should try some JJs. I bought a set of Mesa EL34s at the ol' GC in town a while back, and my reaction was... "Enh." Compared to the stock 6L6s they sound stiff and one-dimensional. I haven't been happy with them, though I keep them around for backup. My JCM800, by comparison, is all juicy and touch-sensitive like nothing else. Different amp, different EL34 (not sure what, it's been a while since I opened it and it's been retubed so many times I can't keep track).

I just ordered some EH 6V6s through Tube Depot (that Reeder guy said he liked them a little better than JJs, so I thought I'd start with EHs) and I'm hoping to hear more juice this time. I also have some Yellowjackets on order, so I'm excited about changing things up. I haven't had an opportunity to delve too deeply into this yet.

However, it's going to take a lot to make me like anything better than those 6L6s. I feel like everything's perfect right now. :)

I like the 6L6 tone better being more of a Fender guy but the JJ EL34L give the LSC incredible touch sensitivity in tweed mode. Equal to any of the boutiqueys I've played through. GReat mid juice in the gain channel too it's just not as lush and big and 3d as the 6L6s but a nice alternative tone none the less

Never played an LSC. But if I may add, I put Mesa's STR450s in my MKIII Simul, these are Siemens NOS EL34s. Wow! Great tubes with rich harmonics and well-defined indiv notes even saturated with OD. A world of difference in EL34s, IMHO.

Edward

edward said:
Never played an LSC. But if I may add, I put Mesa's STR450s in my MKIII Simul, these are Siemens NOS EL34s. Wow! Great tubes with rich harmonics and well-defined indiv notes even saturated with OD. A world of difference in EL34s, IMHO.

Edward
How much were they and where did you get them?

You might want to try an "Integrated Quad" from Bob at Euro tubes. That's 2, 6L6's and 2, EL34's that are matched.

I tried it and love it. Basically the best of both worlds. Check out the older threads for more tube combos like EL84's and 6V6's.

YES YES YES! I love El34L's in my LSC! I also axed Bob at Euro tubes for some Hot JJ 6L6's and really opened up the amp as far as making it more Bad Cat like.

I have heard that boogie tubes run cool. is this true? and its ok to get the hotter tubes? tell me more, I bought my LSC used, maybe a retube is instore. what about preamp tubes any one using other than boogie tubes?

plan-x said:
edward said:

Edward
How much were they and where did you get them?

Got them from an auth Boogie store in Hollywood, CA. I got these less than 6 months ago and I remember paying $70 for them. But dang ...I just looked at the website and it says $150!! Whew, glad I already have them :)

Edward

Latest posts

Back