LSC = The best amp in the world

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pageburst

Reaction score
Ok so maybe that's over stating it. But after a temporary romance with multiple boutique amps I have come around once again to ol' reliable.

Loaded with JJ El34LS together with a very nice CS designed strat and a couple of Lp historics I can go from huge lush and vowely to a chimey shimmer with a little spank.

From Allman Brothers to Hendrix -now if only my chops could match.

Bottm line; -this amp does everything well. While I haven't played through an original dumble the very expensive dumble clones I played through remind me tonally of this amp. No you will not get marshal plexi 70s distorition but you will get full throated SRV tones and while this might not be the first amp I pick for surf music I can go from Desdemona to Castles made of Sand and the tone is right there with me.

Greetings, Ive had my LSC about 7 to 10dys now and have sat in front of it for at least 6hrs, with my stomp boxes too, using my '85 Charvel/Jackson Model 6 (active circuitry) and Im having problems with tweeking in the Lower Range. The LSC is so totally awesome in the "Clean" arena, no doubt, and Im still using the "Drive" setting. What Im having problems with is dialing in a more punchy tighter bottom, but still have some drive to it too. I havent tried my LesPaul Standard in it yet. Do you have any suggestions?? Id tell ya the settings Im using, but its pretty standard settings. Nothing under 9oclock , and nothing over3. Im using a 12 inch celest (ampeg). The sound Im getting in lower register is muddy, but I know the sound Im looking for is in there somewhere. Any suggestions are appreciated. One point Id like to make, is ive removed 3 boxes from my effects because of the wonderful tone and drive Im getting from the LSC. Now to just get that lower lever tuned in.

CWhasp said:
Greetings, Ive had my LSC about 7 to 10dys now and have sat in front of it for at least 6hrs, with my stomp boxes too, using my '85 Charvel/Jackson Model 6 (active circuitry) and Im having problems with tweeking in the Lower Range. The LSC is so totally awesome in the "Clean" arena, no doubt, and Im still using the "Drive" setting. What Im having problems with is dialing in a more punchy tighter bottom, but still have some drive to it too. I havent tried my LesPaul Standard in it yet. Do you have any suggestions?? Id tell ya the settings Im using, but its pretty standard settings. Nothing under 9oclock , and nothing over3. Im using a 12 inch celest (ampeg). The sound Im getting in lower register is muddy, but I know the sound Im looking for is in there somewhere. Any suggestions are appreciated. One point Id like to make, is ive removed 3 boxes from my effects because of the wonderful tone and drive Im getting from the LSC. Now to just get that lower lever tuned in.

The best advice I can give is to play with the EQ settings. Try killing the Bass and cranking the mids. The LSC won't do real hard stuff. About the hardest I could get is Led Zep and early ACDC with an LP and SG. and SRV with a strat.

I typically use distortion more as a thickener and liquifier -to add a halo of harmonic and sustain till I really get like this weeping tone. Think Allman brothers here.

Now for this kinda stuff the biggest recommendation I can make is replace the 6L6s with some EL34Ls , I've got JJ 34s in mine. Second thing is you really got to work the EQ and balance the drive and gain knob on channel 2. play with them untill it sounds right. With the EL34s and some judicious tweaking, there is no reason for you to have a wooly bottom end. Just don't expect the ultra high gain stuff ala Recto, MKIV, Englm Diezel etc.

CWhasp said:

Hi,

I've had mine all of a day, and have spent a little bit of time with it, I am having the same trouble with bass. When I tried my clapton strat with the neck pick-up it sounded awful. I did figure out that the volume control was having a big hand in this on channel 2 as the lace sensors are quite high output, but am still having a little bit of trouble getting the bottom really tight.

Don't get me wrong I am loving the amp, and know that it is going to take some taming, but once I figured the lace sensor pickups was causing a big part of the problem I really started to make progress.

D

Check out the second group of cuts under "Classic"

http://www.masottiamp.it/audio.html

btw, the first group using the Modern model X100M done by Giacomo Castellano is some REAL good writing and playing IMHO.

Pageburst said:
CWhasp said:

The best advice I can give is to play with the EQ settings. Try killing the Bass and cranking the mids. The LSC won't do real hard stuff. About the hardest I could get is Led Zep and early ACDC with an LP and SG. and SRV with a strat.

I typically use distortion more as a thickener and liquifier -to add a halo of harmonic and sustain till I really get like this weeping tone. Think Allman brothers here.

Now for this kinda stuff the biggest recommendation I can make is replace the 6L6s with some EL34Ls , I've got JJ 34s in mine. Second thing is you really got to work the EQ and balance the drive and gain knob on channel 2. play with them untill it sounds right. With the EL34s and some judicious tweaking, there is no reason for you to have a wooly bottom end. Just don't expect the ultra high gain stuff ala Recto, MKIV, Englm Diezel etc.

Thanks for getting back with me ... sounds like good advice ! How would I know that ?? Well, I sat down for a few hours tonight w/LesPaul and I was tweeking some drive and some gain and Wha-La !! Im starting to come around to the "Boogie" ways. So your advice is "right-on" !!
Im not going to go to the 34s, Ill stay with the L6s. Right now its a fine line Im hitting on, but I am making progress. The LesPaul sounds absolutely Great ! My Charvel is a like "out-of-control" on the lower stuff, but that could be cause its "active".
Thanks !!!

FunkyMonkey said:
CWhasp said:

Hi,

I've had mine all of a day, and have spent a little bit of time with it, I am having the same trouble with bass. When I tried my clapton strat with the neck pick-up it sounded awful. I did figure out that the volume control was having a big hand in this on channel 2 as the lace sensors are quite high output, but am still having a little bit of trouble getting the bottom really tight.

Don't get me wrong I am loving the amp, and know that it is going to take some taming, but once I figured the lace sensor pickups was causing a big part of the problem I really started to make progress.

D

Kewl ! Glad your making progress too. Im not much of a Strat type, I prefer the Buckers, but the single coils on the Charvel/Jackson do sound sweet thru the new LSC. The neck Buck on the LPS sounded great too. Im really overwhelmed by the "Clean" sound from the LSC, especially with some chorus or pitch shift. I was doing some practice runs near the end of my sit-down, and I looked down at my pedal board and I had only one box on. INCREDIBLE ! I have been using a boss EQ pedal to help my transition to this new LSC. Now, I mostly have it off. So Im getting there. And I would like to mention that Im "NOT" sacrificing any drive, tone, or sustain. Incredible. I can tell Im getting there because I dont want to stop playing.

crestwood1972 said:
Check out the second group of cuts under "Classic"

http://www.masottiamp.it/audio.html

btw, the first group using the Modern model X100M done by Giacomo Castellano is some REAL good writing and playing IMHO.

Sounds good dude !!!

By reading my own reply Ive discovered what has happened.
Quite possibly Ive discovered "Tone" ...... LMAO

Im away from an array of boxes, and am now using 2 for the clean stuff. (chorus, pitchshift to give an organic fill). The EQ could be used for crunch, and my OD is now just a boost, but the solo is for that, so the OD isnt really needed.

Wow... my compliments to the "Boogie" department.

cwhasp glad to hear your hitting some tones you like.

If you get a chance I highly recommend you check out the EL34Ls. Not to say EL34L are better -that's not what it about here. Rather for the price of a tube change you can kinda get a new amp: -with a bit more mid presence and lushness and less of a hump in the lower bass. You ccan always go back to the 6L^s as I do from time to time.

I gotta try 6v6s next.

Anyway enjoy, tweak away and take some time to get to know your gear -you may be just surprised to find that the tone you were always looking for was in there all along.

I just got my Lone Star Classic 212 yesterday. Still playing around with settings. Take some getting used to a combo after having a halfstack for the last 10 years.

Yes its the amp to have no matter what other amp you have. Some done know this but hook up a bottle rocket or v twin and you are covering every spectrum in mesa you would want.

LSC IS CLASSIC Best amp I have and I have 17 amps

MONGO said:
Yes its the amp to have no matter what other amp you have. Some done know this but hook up a bottle rocket or v twin and you are covering every spectrum in mesa you would want.

LSC IS CLASSIC Best amp I have and I have 17 amps
Wow........what are the other 16 amps?

Pageburst said:
cwhasp glad to hear your hitting some tones you like.

If you get a chance I highly recommend you check out the EL34Ls. Not to say EL34L are better -that's not what it about here. Rather for the price of a tube change you can kinda get a new amp: -with a bit more mid presence and lushness and less of a hump in the lower bass. You ccan always go back to the 6L^s as I do from time to time.

I gotta try 6v6s next.

Anyway enjoy, tweak away and take some time to get to know your gear -you may be just surprised to find that the tone you were always looking for was in there all along.

As soon as I get a handle on the 6Ls, Ill give the 34s a try. The better I get to know the amp, the better ear Im developing for it. At this point I may not notice a difference. But I will eventually try them.

I was using strickly Solid-State w/ 10ins so you can understand my concern about the lower end. Im wiring some cabinets that have 10s in them. (2 cabs, 2 10s ea.) Any suggestions as to the wiring ??? Ive checked it out online, but the local shop said to wire Series/Parrallel. (one cab plugged into the other), then both (my 2x12 and the 10s) into the two 4ohms outputs. The LSC manual sezes thats "ok" !

Latest posts

Back