LSC question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbenigni

Reaction score
i found a store that has an old LS (before they were called classics) with the blue cover. (1x12 combo) its not used, though it has been there a while, they are selling it for 1200. will this amp get me a Lifehouse/the calling/dishwalla/greenwheel type tone ? it seems all the bands in this type music use bogner XTC.

i know, i know i am another pop rock guy spilling my horrible world ruining music into the air, but all i want is replys about the amps tone, not about the songs i have to write.

thanks

unfortunately, I'm not too familliar with most of those bands..But my band does a Lifehouse song - "You and Me" and we used to play "Hanging by a Moment". "You and Me" is a great song and only uses a clean amp setting which the Lonestar would be more than perfect for.... But on Hanging by a Moment, if I remember correctly, it has plenty -o- distortion in the choruses...... this is where the Lonestar is going to lack unless you have a pretty good OD pedal or distortion pedal (like a V-Twin or Bottle Rocket).

The Lonestar is a great amp for: Clean, Country, Blues, Classic rock, and some light to medium crunch tones by itself. The Lonestar also handles pedals really well and if you have a nice distortion pedal you can throw in front of the amp, then that's a good amp with great tones and nice features. I have the Roadster which has the Lonestar clean channel I use a few pedals on that channel and it sounds pretty nice.

To be honest, it sounds like a Roadster or Road King II is what you really need if you plan on using a lot of distortion at times and still want nice cleans (unless like I've already said, you already have a nice OD pedal).... But those amps are another $900 to $1500 more, and $1200 is a decent price for a new Lonestar with a 5 yr warranty.

The BEST thing for you to do, is take your guitar in to the music store and play around with it for 30-60 minutes and tweak the heck out of it and see if it'll work for you, $1200 is a lot of money to lay down on an amp you aren't sure about.

That's my $.02 worth, hope it helps.

hey thanks for actually replying, unlike the other 30 some odd. yeah, i'll just have to give it a try. i don't really want tons of gain, just enough. i just figured for the price i may as well look into it. Roadster/Roadking would be cool but a little to pricey for me, and it is mainly a recording thing. i've been reading a lot of good stuff about the Ace's cleans so maybe i'll check that out too. i was reading the lonestars manual and it was talking about the drive switch being like a "plexi" switch, so i was under the impression she'll break up nicely.

thanks again

Try the Ace, seriously, I know it's still the honeymoon period for me but it's easily my favorite boogie that I've ever played aside from the heart breaker.

Can get REAL nasty if you want it to but also has beautiful cleans and every kind of breakup inbetween.

If you are primarily looking for rediculously good clean tones and great slightly overdriven tones I would definately pickup the Lone Star. The cleans are much better than the cleans on the Bogner XTC. It does a pretty good plexi sound too.

CodeTitan,

i heard some pretty nice clips in the rigs&tones section and the guy that played them (LSC) said that he turned up the loop feed to max and got enough drive out of it that way. have you ever tried this ?

BENNY said:
CodeTitan,

i heard some pretty nice clips in the rigs&tones section and the guy that played them (LSC) said that he turned up the loop feed to max and got enough drive out of it that way. have you ever tried this ?

I haven't maxed out the loop but I have turned it up to about 2:00 and it definately gives you more drive. I read an article about Andy Timmons (artist on Steve Vai's label) and he said he always turns the loop up to about 1:00 to get some extra drive. However, I prefer the amp without the loop engaged as I think it looses a little bit of punch in the clean channel when the loop is on.

Keep in mind that if you are using humbuckers with the LSC, you will get more than enough drive even without the effects loop engaged.

With the loop engaged in on the LSC, the preamp drive switched in and up to 3 o'clock on Channel 2, and "Thicker" on... you can almost get enough drive as a Rectumfrier. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have as much gain as my Rectoverb, but I've never had to turn up the gain that high anyways, even for Limp Bizkit type music.

I say for the pop music you want to do, this amp is great for you. You don't need too much buzzy distortion for it. You probably want a clean distortion thing going. The LSC is perfect.

I do listen to all those bands you named, but if you wanna get the lead tone that the Dishwalla guitarist gets, only a Les Paul and Marshall amp will give you that. The singer uses and Tele and Fender amp I believe... and mostly plays sparkling clean, which the LSC will do in spades.

But, if you don't believe me that the 2nd channel on the LSC can wail, check out this vid: Andy Timmons using the LSC. You can get even more gain than that.. but in my opinion... that's all you need. BTW, he IS a great player, but my LSC can sound just like that with my effects on... So it's not like one of those "Andy Timmons can make anything sound like that" things.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jrHy2o_Q-Fk&mode=related&search=

lukeness,
thanks man, you've restored my intrest. though i love all things recto i was just looking for something a little different for what i am trying to do now. i'm gonna check out that video when i get home. work blocks all the cool sights, except for this one. i was hoping that a veteran LS person would answer. this board is mostly patroled by recto/stilletto players. i am a LP guy as well so i think i should be able to get some thick warm tones then.

once again thanks

The LSC sounds great indeed.......but if you're listening to the Andy Timmons Youtube video, then I must also tell you that that's not the guitar into the amp alone.....

He uses the "BB Preamp" pedal in front of the amp for his leads. Check out this vid:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tGjbniiG__4&mode=related&search=

jbenigni said:
lukeness,
thanks man, you've restored my intrest. though i love all things recto i was just looking for something a little different for what i am trying to do now. i'm gonna check out that video when i get home. work blocks all the cool sights, except for this one. i was hoping that a veteran LS person would answer. this board is mostly patroled by recto/stilletto players. i am a LP guy as well so i think i should be able to get some thick warm tones then.

once again thanks

Cool, I'm glad you are interested in the LSC again. In my opinion, it is one of the best amp that Boogie makes... and the price reflects that. It's one of the most expensive amps they make, other than the Roadster and Road King.

What I was stating above is that the LSC is "capable" of getting close to the recto tones, but still, that is not what it's made for. A lot of people just want a ton of distortion, but don't realize the physics of what makes guitar tones cut thru the mix. The rectos are great amps, but the way most people use em, they are more prone to "not being heard" in a live mix. That's because of all the phase cancellation n' junk... But a cleaner clearer distortion will cut thru a full band mix better than full blown chug chug distortion.

Using a Les Paul will DEFINITELY give you more gain on tap. I use a Telecaster and PRS's. Both sound phenomenol thru the LSC. Of course the PRS has more gain on tap due to the humbuckers. I must admit that I use a Fulldrive2 as my overdrive. And this pedal seems to go perfect with the amp. However, I don't usually engage it. I usually only use it to push the 1st channel a bit... and to get super crazy pinch harmonic screams in the 2nd channel.

Latest posts

Back