LSC + LSS = OMG

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
I just spent all night A/Bing my Lonestar Classic and Lonestar Special. Interestingly, I found myself going back again and again to the LSS. That said, when I would switch to the LSC for extended periods of time I would love that as well. Some interesting (perhaps) thoughts:

-The measure of an amp = does it need effects?
Emphatically NO with these. I didn't even use the reverb. With a Parker Fly Mojo the sound was SO GOOD.

-Overall I think I prefer Ch 2 on the LSC (over Ch 2 on the LSS)
It seems more rich and sweet. However, a nice thing I found using the LSS was that Ch2 set to clean really cleans up nicely for rhythm work

-Single coil + LSS = perfect
LSS seems to made to be made for single-coil (well hb's also sound great); With my Parker Fly Mojo coils set to single through the LSS the sound is superb and I found I had more clean headroom on the LSS that way.

-If settings = the same then sound = awfully close
You can get the amps to sound pretty **** close had conservative settings. It's when you start dialing settings specifically for the amps that their individual sounds come out.

-LSS on 5 W is louder on same apparent Master/Gain settings then Lonestar Classic on 100W (certain settings only); of course when you push harder on the master the LSC gets LOUD; LSS is pretty loud too but breaks up and gets furrier.

All in all two amazing pieces of technology; best amps I've every played through or owned. I've owned 1969 Marshall Super Lead (well the thing it did, it did GREAT), 1974 Fender Twin, LAB Series (actually not a bad amp for on the road with a funk band), 1984 Mesa Boogie Mkiic+, Evans JE150.

I haven't owned or even played through any high-end boutique stuff: Soldano, etc. so I imagine there could be an amp out there that beats these; doesn't really matter as between these two it's over for me (well, maybe a Stiletto ACE :)

Thanks to all those on the forum who have helped me work through my sound.

I've owned both....

Returned and re-purchased the LSS several times.

However, I learned this lesson.....the LSS sounds much better than in my Living Room or Studio.

The LSC is the top performer Live. So if you're deciding between the two, you ay want to consider that as well.

In any case, both are great amps.....in the end, I am more into the 6L6 tone.

If you want a little more verstaility out of the LSS 1x12, I would suggest two things:

1) Retube with aftermarket tubes. I used JJ's.

2) Get a 1x12 ext cab. Fuller sound, more volume if you need it for live work.

Nice comparison GeoBull. After getting the LSS (I was funnily enough torn between a Budda Superdrive II 18w and the LSS, not the LSC), I've wondered what the LSC is like.

I play the LSS with a Fender Strat where I have Texas Special Pickups, and they are really awesome together. My next step is to get the LSS retubed as many here has suggested. I am starting to research what tubes I want. I have also been able to get the LSS to work nicely together with a Homebre Electronics Big D OD/DS pedal, still allowing me to keep the character of the LSS.

What I do know, is that I will probably not be able to very often run the LSS at its fulles sound potential as I am a "bedroom gigger". Only when the significant other and the kid is out of the house.... :D

LSC on 50 watts is glory 6l6 tone. LSS cant touch it for my tastes

Today I used the LSS at a jam with some folks; sounded GREAT; I think I was on 15w ch 1 and 5w ch 2. The jam isn't overly loud but not quite either; amp totally cut through and ch 1 was lovely clean; that said I've cranked the LSS and understand that it's going to have more of a furry spank than the LSC.

I'm really thinking that these two amps together cover everything. Anybody else own them both and have detailed thoughts to share?

I still have two weeks on the LSC before I have to put up or shut up.

Thanks as always

Latest posts

Back