LSC Drive Channel Muddiness

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gui7ars

Reaction score
I'm a new Mesa owner. I just received a mint but used LSC 2X12. I absolutely love the clean channel but find the drive channel very bassy. Is this consistent with other's experiences? Any tips as to correct this?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Randy,

Did you get the manual with it? There are very good explanations in it. As far as the muddiness on channel 2, how much gain do you have dialed in? As a general rule, the more gain, use less bass. If this is your first Mesa, you will see that tone controls really interact together.
Also, what guitar are you using? If I play my Les Paul after I have setup with the Strat, it sounds muddier. I turn the bass almost all the way off with the Les Paul.

Also try retubing at least your power tubes with either NOS or something less expensive like JJs. Better yet if you can do the preamp tubes with some good replacements. The stock Mesa tubes aren't great for nice overdrive in channel 2 to my ears

I've got a LSC and play with dual coil pups (humbuckers).
The bass control on my channel 2 is at about 8 oclock.
9 oclock on channel 1.

IMO with 2 channel amps a good starting point to clone ch 2 from ch 1
is to take 1 or 2 off of the mid and bass pots to help keep out muddiness.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I’m glad to see my experiences are consistent with all of yours. I’m able to get decent tones by rolling back the mids and bass as you all suggest. Anyone have the 2X12 up on a stand instead of on the floor? Does this help?

Thanks again,

Randy

gui7ars

I used the BB Preamp pedal for my leads on that amp....based on a video I saw from Andy Timmons and it works magic on both channels, especially for leads.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uuwSHBcBUYE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SiW22O914Cg

I did all the things mentioned and then I changed out the cathode bypass cap for the drive circuitry. I changed it from 15uf to .68uf. Tighter brighter and more focused. I am sure there are some other values that can be altered to make it better, but right now that is really working for me.

Jack

Back