LSC/Bogner Mini-Stack!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medwards1969

Reaction score
I've got my little Mini-Stack concept up and running! It's a Lonestar Classic Short-Head (19" long) sitting on top of two Bogner 1x12 Cubes each loaded with 8 Ohm Mesa/Celestion C-90's. Its totally an E-Bay creation! Odd colors but a perfect stack! Big Power - low footprint success! I plugged the two 8-Ohm cabinets separately into the 4 - Ohm Jacks to make a net 4-Ohm hookup. Picking up a Cube is much easier than dealing with a combo, for me anyway. I am plugging my early model SRV Strat into it, with Texas Specials (this early SRV is just one of those strats that has string ring to die for).

Settings - to make the Fender tones, I found I've got to set the Reverb to bright. If I set it to warm, I am gonna get more the Mesa Boogie type tones. Setting tweed power on the clean channel with bright reverb gives me "Radar Love". Give me "Brown Sugar"! It seems the Reverb has much less impact on the lead channel, for some reason. Both positions of the reverb are good, usable sounds.

Setting the drive control on lead channel is a tougher trick. But, I think a key is to play the kneck pickup of the SRV on the Clean channel and maybe the bridge pickup on the lead channel. It has pretty good sustain and tone for more a Boogie type lead this way. If it is set to thicker it seems more aggressive, but maybe is more prone to feedback.

What other tricks do you guys use to rip on the lead channel? I've got a ZIM coming, but that is in a few days! This amp is begging for a signature tone. I'm working on it! This setup sounds great, especially on the kneck pickup, which I noticed is really the SRV sound. Big strings be damned, it works fine with 10s for me. My follow-up for this is going to be my old Jeff Beck "Baseball Bat" strat, with DG-20 pickups, and I am gonna try a run at making the Pink Floyed sounds. Any ideas?

So you are hauling around two speaker cabs and one head cabinet? Seems like at head and a 2x12 would be easier.

Post some pics, I want to see the setup.

Jack

almost sorta kinda close to how i like to do it. >>
but i have an open back 1x12 under a LSS and the cube under a univalve.

rigs.jpg

My two Bogner Cubes can also be plugged into my "80's rig", a Hughes & Kettner Access/VS-250 rack, that has a reverb unit in it. This is a midi rig that sounds sort of like a Vox, and is also great for my accoustic. 1x12 speaker cabinets are THE solution for me. They fit in a car. When you carry them, your body is balanced. Run them into one amp. Run them from a stereo power amp. It's just like Dr. Zuess! I heartily recommend to you guys to acquire some good 1x12s - they don't have to be Bogners, CAE are good, too, I don't know what all is out there. Get used ones. If you have a 2x12 or a 4x12, the 1x12s are just gonna be icing on the GAS attack for a W/D/W rig down the road! I've got a 4x12 MS Peavey and two old 2x12 ADA cabinets. The key to resurrecting old speaker cabinets is just to get the correct speaker types in there and experiment. My 4x12 has G12H30s and they are awesome for a Marshall type amp. I am hoping my GAS attack is coming soon to an end. The key to carrying gear is to minimize the weight of each piece, not the quantity of peices. Its that one heavy piece that will make you get old quick. Take care.

Vatoben, your setup is similar to mine except I stacked my cubes vertically. Eventually I am gonna get a Framptone Amp switcher and go for a "Quad-Cube" setup!

Back