low cost tip to reduce mains hum with two amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithw46

Reaction score
Recently i was fortunate to aquire a near mint original blackface fender bandmaster head, have tried
using it in a two amp set up with my mark4, last pedal on my board is a tc nova delay so run the left and right
outs to each amp. The sound is amazing boogie punch with deep fender warmth, only one problem bad mains hum due to
an earth loop, didnt want to disconnect any earths so was about to buy something like a gigrig humdinger or a lehle
splitter then tried an experiment, got a piece of three core mains cable, soldered the cores together at each end then soldered these to jack plug earth terminals effectivly making a lead just with the earth terminals connected. Plugged one end into one of the spare bandmaster inputs, the other to switchable loop return on the mark 4 ( any unused jack would have done), this gives a low impedance path between the chassis of each amp, so any stray currents will flow down here instead of round the pedal board, result= no mains humand £100 + saved and totally SAFE.

Back