Loving my MkV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunstanmus

Reaction score
Had a few struggles early doors working out which modes to use. Started off with crunch and mark IV modes which seemed a good starting point. Am now really liking Edge cranked and IIc+.
Have eventually worked out the problem for me has been the cabs. Got wide body 1x12's with C90's.
When played through my Port City's with Scumbacks, what a transformation. Then did some research on HRI and a few guys on there are changing out the speaker on the combo so next stop is Scumback M75's into the Boogie cabs.

Can't wait.

After this, I will sell a guitar and get an Electrodyne.

Am soooo back into Boogie!

Cheers Rich

I've tried really hard to like C90s, but I prefer V30s. G12Ms are also nice, but I like the punchy response of the V30... better fit for my tastes.

screamingdaisy said:
I've tried really hard to like C90s, but I prefer V30s. G12Ms are also nice, but I like the punchy response of the V30... better fit for my tastes.

Funny, I was just posting on TGP about this. I like the V30s much better too. The C90 that came in the combo has been replaced by a V30 and is now exiled to an extension cab that never gets used. I'll probably get a V30 for that too.

I replaced the C90 in my closed-back widebody cab with a Scumback M75 (100w) and I prefer it by far. That together with JJ 6CA7 power tubes, and after extensive tweaking, I can finally get the juicy, chewy high gain sounds I was looking for!! Mids maxed, with presence set low, around 9 'oclock and the classic V shape on the GEQ. Yum.

jabberwocker said:
I replaced the C90 in my closed-back widebody cab with a Scumback M75 (100w) and I prefer it by far. That together with JJ 6CA7 power tubes, and after extensive tweaking, I can finally get the juicy, chewy high gain sounds I was looking for!! Mids maxed, with presence set low, around 9 'oclock and the classic V shape on the GEQ. Yum.

Yeah, I replaced one of the V30's in my vertical recto with an M75. I couldn't stand the brand new V30. It was so shrill. I left the V30 in the bottom and believe it is now broken in. So, I will either:
1) swap in the other v30 into the bottom and break that one in and then try both
2) put the Scumback H75 into the bottom slot and see how that works
3) or just be lazy and leave it alone - it sounds good now.

dunstanmus said:
Had a few struggles early doors working out which modes to use. Started off with crunch and mark IV modes which seemed a good starting point. Am now really liking Edge cranked and IIc+.
Have eventually worked out the problem for me has been the cabs. Got wide body 1x12's with C90's.
When played through my Port City's with Scumbacks, what a transformation. Then did some research on HRI and a few guys on there are changing out the speaker on the combo so next stop is Scumback M75's into the Boogie cabs.

Can't wait.

Cheers Rich
Congrats, Rich, on scoring the Mark V and for finding a great speaker/cab combination. That's a big part of finding your overall tone, imo.

gag halfrunt said:
dunstanmus said:

Can't wait.

Cheers Rich
Congrats, Rich, on scoring the Mark V and for finding a great speaker/cab combination. That's a big part of finding your overall tone, imo.

Don't forget the Scumback H75 - while the M75 got rid of the spikeness of the new V30, I felt I lost a little of the thump in channel 3. Right now, I have a broken in V30 and M75 and it is a pretty good combo, enough that it has stalled me in putting in the H75 I have sitting in the closet. Just something else to consider.

just got my mark v hgd head about 2 weeks ago. and i am loving it. i got great sounds right out of the box. a lot of tweakablity in this monster. i have it running through a small pine cabinet with eminence delta pro 12A. after breaking it in it sounds great. had it also running through another cab with a jbl e120 and that sounded great also. i like the sound of the amp to shine and not the speaker. these speakers are just right for me. bright enough for the mark I channel to sound great. did i say i am loving it.

Back