lovin the LoneStar...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbalderrama

Reaction score
So, a little while ago I picked up an old Mark 1 ( #0355), and using this amp convinced me that I don't really need as much gain as I think I did. I love the Mark 1, but really wanted at least a 2 channel amp for versatility. I was considering the Express 5:50 ( I've previously owned an F-50 ) but decided it would be worth considering the Lonestar as well. Well, a GC here had one of the discontinued ones that they let go for used ebay prices, so I decided to take it home and see if it works for me.

Well, it works pretty **** well. I've paired it up with an Xotic BB preamp, ala Andy Timmons. What a great combination. Has to be turned up a little to sound it's best, but between the BB and Lonestar I can get 4 great tones... Clean, Pushed ( ala Barracuda ), Classic Rock ( ala Thin Lizzy) and up to about early Metallica/Black Sabbath. The lead tone is steller, fat, clear, and sustains forever. I think people try to use too much gain for lead tone, which just thins it out. Boogies will give you plenty of sustain without needing 4 gain stages, and it makes for a much fatter, rounder tone. Just crank up that Andy Timmons/BB Preamp demo video for proof of that.

I've got the 1x12 combo. I'm not as fond of the C90 speaker, so I'm mostly using the Lonestar through a combination of a Theile EVM and a Raezers Edge 1x12. I'm thinking I'll order a custom covered head shell at some point and sell the combo box.

So the lesson is, even if you consider yourself a "high gain" guy, it might be worth looking at the Lonestar or lower gain amps.

sbalderrama said:
So, a little while ago I picked up an old Mark 1 ( #0355), and using this amp convinced me that I don't really need as much gain as I think I did. I love the Mark 1, but really wanted at least a 2 channel amp for versatility. I was considering the Express 5:50 ( I've previously owned an F-50 ) but decided it would be worth considering the Lonestar as well. Well, a GC here had one of the discontinued ones that they let go for used ebay prices, so I decided to take it home and see if it works for me.

Well, it works pretty **** well. I've paired it up with an Xotic BB preamp, ala Andy Timmons. What a great combination. Has to be turned up a little to sound it's best, but between the BB and Lonestar I can get 4 great tones... Clean, Pushed ( ala Barracuda ), Classic Rock ( ala Thin Lizzy) and up to about early Metallica/Black Sabbath. The lead tone is steller, fat, clear, and sustains forever. I think people try to use too much gain for lead tone, which just thins it out. Boogies will give you plenty of sustain without needing 4 gain stages, and it makes for a much fatter, rounder tone. Just crank up that Andy Timmons/BB Preamp demo video for proof of that.

I've got the 1x12 combo. I'm not as fond of the C90 speaker, so I'm mostly using the Lonestar through a combination of a Theile EVM and a Raezers Edge 1x12. I'm thinking I'll order a custom covered head shell at some point and sell the combo box.

So the lesson is, even if you consider yourself a "high gain" guy, it might be worth looking at the Lonestar or lower gain amps.

Im building me a Timmons rig . I have the Stiletto Deuce and have just ordered the LS head

Latest posts

Back