Loudness and Stryper

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddyrox

Reaction score
I have video that I shot of Akira Takasaki(Loudness) with 3 full stacks and a Mark III (I believe) with EQ on each. Can anyone confirm the M/B amp model? It was during the 1988 Jealousy tour. I am unsure if he used the Boogies on the "Hurricane Eyes" LP 1987 and "Jealousy" EP 1988, but it sure sounds like he did. A LOT of people believe he was playing the Lee Jackson/Metaltronix stuff in '88 - but I'm thinking later on.

Can anyone confirm?

Also were Michael Sweet and Oz Fox using the Mesa Quads and 295's?
thanks!
mike.

Slap a Furman PQ3 in front of the Mark III with the bass all the way off. The mids very low and the treble up a bit. Pure Stryper.

I had read somewhere that Stryper used the 50 cal.+ at somepoint. I know you can get that tone with mine!

All I could find re:Stryper so far was this interview that seems to have been around 2002-03

http://www.premierguitar.com/archive/interviews/ozfox.htm

So he was using a Quad at that point, one which he's had since 87. I *swear* I remember reading an article about both of them using Quads around that time too (late 80s) but I can't seem to find it anymore.

The anecdote I had always heard says that they slammed the front of the amp with a parametric EQ that basically just spiked the hell out of around 1k. And the Quad can definitely get really close to those sweet In God We Trust era tones... but that's all I got.

Wish I had better info for ya heh.

I remember in my old Boogie catalog from '88-ish it read that Akira Takasaki used the Coliseum Mark III heads. Because he needed 300 watts of Boogie power??? His tone was pretty nice back then.

Mark Fore said:
I remember in my old Boogie catalog from '88-ish it read that Akira Takasaki used the Coliseum Mark III heads. Because he needed 300 watts of Boogie power??? His tone was pretty nice back then.

:lol: :lol: I guess we know how they got their name now too!

I forgot all about those guys. Guess it's time to head to the music store. My cassettes are ravaged. I think the scotch tape finally gave up the ghost.[/quote]

I dug up my old Boogie catalogs and confirmed that it reads on the Coliseum 300 page that, "This is the amp Akira uses with Loudness". It also reads that, "This is the amp the Stones use for stadium tours". I had a Boogie price list from '89 in the catalog. It's pretty depressing. I'll post some scans in the next couple days.

The Coliseum heads are 180-200 watts and not 300 watts.

I first heard about Mesa Boogie by reading an article with Michael Sweet in the 80's. I saw Stryper in a place called the Rainbow in Denver. In that same place, around the same time, I also saw Loudness. At the time I could not tell what Akira was using because he had a refrigerator sized rack system, but it sounded great.

Later I saw both Stryper and Loudness, along with TNT at Red Rocks. That had to be summer of '87 or '88.

....small world

Latest posts

Back