Louder 12ax7 modified? cut pin #4/ Simul-Class 295 only!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stein

Reaction score
hi this is my first message here, i bought a simul-class 295 , the 4 rack spaces one, and i notice that one channel sounded way better than the other, i change the GL6 and the EL34 , but not the 12ax7 ones, the amp did't needed to change the big tubes, sounded the same as before, so i change the 12ax7 , and both channels sounded the same.... [ i did not like the sound to much as before ] so i started experimenting with the old 12ax7's and with a multimeter i found that one of them, the pin #4 was dead , but when i put this tube in one of this channels sounded WAY, WAY better and Mega Clean and WAY louder, 3 times as loud ,and with a better low end , so i cut the pin #4 in one of the other 12ax7's , and i put it in the other channel, and WOW, now the 2 channels sounded realy good, but the strange thing is that when i put one of this ''modified tubes'' in to another amp [ LANEY] the amp did not sounded.... so if someone knows what happened here or if i found the missing link of the 12ax7 [ i wish ! jaja ] could answer me , thnx and great forum !!

Pin 4 is one of the heater filament connections,it is connected to pin 5 when used as a 6.3 volt heater.Dont know why it is working in your Mesa amp,but the reason it doesnt work in the Laney is because it isnt getting the proper filament voltage.I wouldnt use the tube this way.

Latest posts

Back