Lost Reverb on a 90s DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

es336td

Reaction score
The other guitar player in a bunch of bands I play with has a DC-5 combo... it doesn't have the LEDs to indicate which channel is active, so I would assume it is older than the head I had (1997) that was stolen. At any rate, the reverb has stopped working... if he hits the cabinet you get the thunder sound (which to me says the output is working), but nothing on either channel effects the guitar signal. Is this a tube problem or is his input connector to the tank oxidized or something? Anyone else have this problem? Thanx.

With the very little to go on here.. I'd say your first place to check would be the 12AX7 tube responsible for your tube reverb.

Try swapping it with a known good preamp tube.

well if hitting it doesn't work try kicking it. or my favorite the drop down the stairs.

Well, he replaced all the tubes with fresh ones. He said it made it louder and sweeter sounding. But the reverb is still MIA. Also, the effects loop doesn't work. Any tips before he takes it to a shop?

Thanx

L

A sure bet it's the input RCA plug going to the reverb spring box (or the one connected at the amp chassi) It might have gotten unplugged a little or something...make sure those little suckers are pushed all the way in.
Happened to me on my DC-5 years ago.
If it's dirty or what not, try a little steel wool or fine sand paper to clean it up a little.

Just received this from my buddy... he has replaced the tubes, cleaned and secured all the connectors...

"Man I’ve gotta get my Boogie worked on. Something definitely going on with it. Plugged it in last night and it had a tone resembling a wah pedal halfway up. Was losing my mind until I notice the reverb was dimed on it. Turned the reverb down and all was good. Noticed that if I turned the reverb volume up (on either channel) at all the tone went to ****!"

Anyone had this happen? If so, what was the solution.

L

I think the reverb tank may have a problem. Might be time to get a new one.

E_R said:
I think the reverb tank may have a problem. Might be time to get a new one.

I played his rig this weekend and it sounds sweet, but the reverb is definitely hosed. It'll do the thunder thing if you hit the head, but it sucks all the tone out of the amp. He replaced the tubes not long ago and all connections to the tank are good. What could be wrong with the tank if you can hit it and get the sound? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Latest posts

Back