loose tube socket

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesieBooga

Reaction score
I just had my "tech" replace a loose tube socket (IIC+ combo) that wasn't lighting up the tube. Got the amp back- same problem! Same socket. I've sent an email to him to see if he changed the correct one.... :lol: :x But maybe there is other issues going on... :?:

Sounds like the solder tab on the tube sockets got wiggled a bit too much an snapped the tab where it is soldered on the power board. You know what I mean? how they are bent over and soldered to the board. The heaters on the IIC+ are derived from the PT to the PI and then it powers all the power amp tube heaters. There are also 2 100 ohm resistors to ground below the speaker jacks. The trace should also say 6.3V.

Why would you waste your money on a tech when you have us?

Pull out the chassis and look for a split solder tab. I had the same thing happen on a Marshall. I just put a solid blob of solder and flux to fix the connection and the heaters worked just find and still are.

You might want to try a new tube in the socket too.

I've seen many tubes go bad and simply not light up. The Filament inside the tube was broken.

If your amp tech replaced the socket, and the amp still doesn't work right, it makes me wonder if he tried the amp after the repair.

I was so busy once that I forgot to test a Vintage ('72) Marshall before sending it out. The owner is a really good friend of mine, and at the time, it was his Holy Grail tone. Boy did I screw up. The amp sounded worse after the repair.

As for tube sockets. If they are only loose, they can always be tightened or re-tensioned. In Vintage amps, this is prefered so that the amp retains more original parts.

Latest posts

Back