Loop of NS-2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colemaneuclid

Reaction score
Anyone ever put anything thru the loop of their noise suppressor?

The only instance I've seen that was in pics of Joel and Adam's rigs from guitargeek.com

http://www.guitarfxdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/adam-killswitch-engage.jpg
http://www.digitalburn.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/joel-killswitch-engage.jpg

Any known advantages/disadvantages to using the loop in such a way?

I can't see the pictures but thats the purpose of the whole pedal. It's much more effective to put your dirt pedals, especially when stacking them, in the loop of the NS-2.

I don't get when people put it at the end of their chain. Your not using it to its full advantage if you just put it at the end of your chain in my opinion.

When I first got the NS-2, I didn't use the loop, but once I put a MXR micro amp and TS-9 in line, I tried it. It's been working great and I'm very happy with the feature.

I've used mine as a loop-within-a-loop with my Triple Rec. It goes amp Send to NS-2, then out to effects, back to NS-2, then to amp Return.

However, I normally don't care for that combination for one annoying reason. The NS-2 allows you to set the threshold, but the control's taper is very poorly distributed. Only the very last ~5% of the control's range is in any way useable. Anything above that and the NS-2 lacks the ability to even dampen, nevermind eliminate, signal chain noise. If you set the threshold juuust high enough so that the system goes dead quiet when you are not playing a note, then the NS-2 starts to produce a mild volume-swell effect like a violin most noticeable on lightly-picked single notes. This 'soft knee' attack threshold is actually kind of useful for softer or slower passages; it's not a bad sound in and of itself.

The problem is, that same attack threshold for noise suppression also affects delays and reverbs, causing unnatural cut-offs of delay echoes and producing gated reverb even if you don't want it. For that reason, I prefer to place the NS-2 before the delay and reverb for the more natural sound that configuration produces. I can still place other effects in the NS-2's loop if I want, such as maybe a graphic EQ, or maybe a BBE Stomp, but if that's all you've got to put in there, there's not much point.

The NS-2's loop is a good idea overall, and if you're going to put one up front of your amp, then it makes even more sense. But until they get rid of that soft knee attack threshold with faster real-time processing of the noise gate, the electronics are just too primitive to use with acoustic effects such as echo, delay or reverb and keep them sounding natural in the NS-2's loop. It's coming though....the chips are already possible, they're just cost-prohibitive currently to put in a little guitar effect. Give it a couple of years and not only will noise gate technology get smarter, we'll also start to see real-time EQ and compressor processing as well.

I love this thing... even though it has its limitations on the threshold taper, it works fine for me. I do not have any signal chain noise or ground loops to worry about so this pedal is really just for me to be able to run an overdrive into a lead channel at full tilt without the 'gristle' noise-wash when I'm not playing.

I run my wah, octafuzz and overdrive in the loop before sending the signal to my preamp. I can even play with all pedals on at once with the lead channel engaged and the noise suppression still works quite naturally for me... plus, I can also find that sweetspot that allows for some tasty feedback without the unnatural cut-off.

pedalboardak47.jpg

Latest posts

Back