Looking to buy my first Mesa Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Reaction score
So after spending some time looking through this board and drooling over the Mesa Boogie website I've decided it's time to purchase my first Mesa amp. I've been a Marshall guy for some time but let's face it they are making crap these days. I love the Marshall sound but I'd really like something that is more versatile and I like the direction Mesa has been going in the last few years. So I'm looking into selling off my JTM-45 Reissue (I'm keeping my JCM800! =) to fund the purchase of either an Express 5/50 or an F-50. I really like the idea of having the 5 watt setting on the Express for playing at home and the separate voicings (blues/burn etc) for each channel but unfortunately the clips I've heard so far haven't impressed me.

So I am wondering if anybody out there can post more clips of the Express?

Also, if I can still find an F-50 head in a store does anybody have an idea of what it would go for? If I don't go for an Express I may buy the F-50 and an attenuator for home use.

Thanks!

Here dude:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=10267

I'm in the same boat as you, and NuSkool was kind enough to post some stuff with his 5:50.

I got a kid on the way and am doing some massive shuffling of gear: selling a Peavey head and a couple guitars, and buying one nice amp head. That'll be the Mesa.

The 5:50 with it's 5 watt mode, coupled with a Hot Plate will be perfect baby-friendly tube tone! :lol:

If you like the marshall sound but want something versatile then the stiletto ace is perfect for you.

Amazing amp.

Yeah, I was about to recommend the stiletto. Marshall-like tone, with M/B building, reliability, and voicing.

Hey everybody thanks for getting back to me.

I may check out the Ace but if I want english style crunch I still have my JCM800. After 15 years of Marshall it's time for something new. I really want something with reverb and channel switching. I listened to the clips that NuSkool posted of the Express and I liked the clips of the F50 that Hal9000 posted much better. But who knows.. maybe the Express can do what I want and NuSkool is going for a sound that I'm not looking for.

It would be cool if somebody posted some more Express clips but I probably need to get my *** down to the guitar store at this point and try it out for myself!

:D

And as far as bedroom/apartment volume is concerned I've learned that anything other than headphones is too loud. I built a 1.5 watt amplifier from a kit called the Tiny Tone (Torres Engineering) and even that thing is really loud when it's dimed. I can get away with playing it on the weekend but that's about it.

Thanks again.

I'll tell you, nothing like the golden 5 S/E watts as Mesa has equipped these newer amps with. It's not a crunch per se, but more of a "glow" that really makes high-gain solo passages shine and clean arpeggios bounce. Will not get that in an F-series. The 50 P/P watts from the 6L6s sound great for cutting through just about any mix with use of the countour. Much more musical than I had anticipated.. Undoubtedly, this amp's dynamic voicing and All-American output stage will get you into fun new territory not ventured by your Marshies, methinks...

Dammit.

I went down to the San Francisco Guitar Center today on my lunch break and all they had were a bunch of Rectos and a couple of Nomads. No Express amps, no F-Series, no Stillettos or Aces and not even any Lonestars. I'll have to keep looking around..

Well I just 'won' an F-50 head off of Ebay. Got it for $750 and it's in mint condition. The guy still had the tag on the handle!

I can't wait to get this thing!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back