Looking to buy a Lone star. HELP!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fendertillnow said:
which one of these should I buy LLS or the LLC ..I thought I was told earlier the 5 watts wasn't very good..is that wrong???Someone please be alittle more elaborate. I want this for my home and a general rule of thumb a 50 watt amp turn up 1/2 way is extremely loud in a house. That was my original thinking. I am definately mostly concerned with the clean sound..as I mentioned I have a Line6 PODXT..Please clarify the remarks please
I like the 5 watt setting. I'm not a regular outside performer, so take it for what it's worth. It's louder than you might think, but the sound is good. I've had no issues at all with my LSS, but it doesn't make it out of my house often. I've been a Fender player all my life, the LSC is clean like the Fenders, but I wanted something different. Play'em both and see what you think, they're different enough to make an impression one way or the other.

I'd love to play both amps and decide buy I can't . But I am like you if I purchased an lss it's for use in the home..so maybe that's what I should do.

Fendertillnow said:
I'd love to play both amps and decide buy I can't . But I am like you if I purchased an lss it's for use in the home..so maybe that's what I should do.
Man, I'd really hate to make that decision without playing them. They are really different animals.

This one has to be decided by your ears. If you have been playing Fenders with 6L6's, the LSS may sound less bottom, not as full. Very subjective here and I don't want to offend any LSS owners. The LSS is a GREAT amp. For me it was fine at home. I like to get out and play with friends at parties and small club situations and the LSS wasn't powerful enough. The LSC has more Fender in it cause of the tubes. I will say the LSC may be slightly less clear at loud clean tones than my TRRI was. YMMV

RR...The amp is 6 months old, and when I bought it, it had just come in from the factory, so i guess its a later one?...I dont know, but Im disapointed in the reliability issues, and Mesa Customer Service is NOT all that great

Thats an interesting question...I would assume the reverb would be in the bottom of the head, but being seperated from the speaker cab as a head/speaker cab unit would be, Im guessing the feedback problem would be eliminated...Only way to tell for sure is to try one...But thats a solution I never thought of...Good Point!....I really like the tone of the LSS, but I cant crank mine up because of the feedback problem( unless I unplug the reverb unit)...Im going to try running a cable from the slave output on the back of the LSS into my Fender Tonemaster, and use the Tonemaster to amplify the tone from the LSS at a louder level than just the LSS alone

I don't envy you making the decision without a good chance to listen. I had the fortune of being able to bring an LSS home for a month (a 1x12) and gave it a pretty good workout. I ended up swapping it out for an LSC 2x12 and have been very pleased.

I liked them both, but what I discovered is that I am not an EL84 fan. The LSS was the best EL84 amp I have ever heard and Mesa put a bunch of tunable features on the amp. It was also the 4th EL84 amp I had and I didn't like any of them. The 5W mode is very much like a small Gibson amp (the Les Paul Jr), so expect it to sound good when it is not being pushed and when you have just enough gain to break up. It doesn't do heavy crunch in that setting. The 15 and 30W settings are plenty loud.

As far as volume goes, I use a Hotplate on my LSC and it is great. Before that I just used the amp with the effects loop on and nothing plugged in to the loop. That let me turn the send level down and it acted like an attenuator. The master volume is good all by itself and I've played it at home with just that.

I like knowing that I can use 6L6, EL34, 6V6 or EL84 (with Yellowjackets) in the LSC, where you can only use EL84s in the LSS. I am liking the EL34s right now. They make the crunch sound very nice. I guess I feel that the LSC gives me more options and has the power if I need to crank it. I've always liked the Marshall like sound, so I like being able to get that with the LSC but also get the clarity and articulation that Mesa put in this amp. It also has a clean channel that is fantastic.

I like the 2x12 just cause the separation sounds nice. They do split the power, so I find I don't get speaker distortion as easily as the 1x12. I guess that means they have a little more clean potential.

If you have to make the choice without hearing, then think of the options you would be most attracted to and see if one or the other weighs out better. In either case, they both are very nice.

Let me know what happens I am curious. There is a 6 month old head on ebay..But already up to 1399.00 with 2 days left. Don't people realize you can buy a new one for 200.00 more..Makes you wonder about a shill bid

I have a LSS 112. I play it about half way up (12 o'clock) on the channel 1 on 30 watts, and 3/4 of the way up (3 o'clock) on channel 2 with the drive engaged, and both drive gains at noon. I have had no feedback at all with my reverb. I don't need the mega volume, I just have the sound guys mic the cab, then set the mix.

The LSS is the best sounding amp that I have ever played through. A good friend of mine has a Matchless DC30, and I like the LSS better. I was in the market for a Badcat Hotcat before playing through the mesa. I live my Boogie!

If I could do it again, I would get the head and 212 cab. I love the combo, but it would be more portable if it was split.

Good luck, once you play a LSS, you are going to be addicted... it's like tone crack.

Speedy....Please do me a favor ...set the master at about 8, the output at 8, and the send effects control at about 8.... I bet you that baby will feed back like crazy...let me know what results you have...If you get a feedback, then its a design problem, if not, then its MY amp...I play this thing cranked, and while I agree its got great tone, the feedback problem makes unusable to me...maybe I just expect too much from it, however Im looking at 4 other amps in my room here that I can play wide open and not get a feedback problem from....Please do the experiment for me, and let me know ..OK?...thanks

Bloozman said:
Speedy....Please do me a favor ...set the master at about 8, the output at 8, and the send effects control at about 8.... I bet you that baby will feed back like crazy...let me know what results you have...If you get a feedback, then its a design problem, if not, then its MY amp...I play this thing cranked, and while I agree its got great tone, the feedback problem makes unusable to me...maybe I just expect too much from it, however Im looking at 4 other amps in my room here that I can play wide open and not get a feedback problem from....Please do the experiment for me, and let me know ..OK?...thanks
I tried this before, but I tried it again. I have the 2x12. If I max output, master and put send almost max(about 4 o'clock), I do get some high frequency squeal. I reported to you before I didn't, but I don't believe I was maxing the effects. It is weird, but for me I'd have to do amplifier gymnastics to make it happen. I've never used these settings, and like speedy I was planning to mic the sound and use a Twin with pedals when more muscle was needed. BTW, I played with a friend who is a pro a couple of weeks ago. I let him use the Mesa and I used the Twin. He played an SG classic I own and I played an old 335. No problem with volume and he loved the LSS. Within an hour or so of fiddling with it he had that amp jumping through rings, no pedals just amp and guitar. I believe it's going to turn out to be one of those amps people love or hate.

But I am looking for a pure clean sound which from what I have been reading of the posts.The classic is going to be more clean sounding than the Special.

Do you know much about 2005 roadkings .. I know thats a hugh sound

I don't know about the RK's The LSC will give a clean, loud tone all day. Then give up a dirty brown tone all night . I am amazed at what my LSC can do. I have a TS9 and haven't even tried that in it yet.

What kind of guitar will you be playing thru it?

Back