Looking to buy a Lone star. HELP!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendertillnow

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am new here. I have been playing for 30years only thru Fenders. I don't play out anymore and I have been Looking at a Lone star for home playing. Probably 2x12 cab. Anyone have sugesstions . And what does a new one normally cost. Is 1400.00 a good price for a Lone Star Special 2x12 Combo- standard finish??Please help asap. I believe it is almost new

Brand new the LSS 2x12 is 1799 + tax, so figure $1850+... $1400 out the door would seem like a good price.
Make sure the Special is what you want though. The LS Classic is a distinctly different amp.

Fendertillnow said:
Hey guys

I am new here. I have been playing for 30years only thru Fenders. I don't play out anymore and I have been Looking at a Lone star for home playing. Probably 2x12 cab. Anyone have sugesstions . And what does a new one normally cost. Is 1400.00 a good price for a Lone Star Special 2x12 Combo- standard finish??Please help asap. I believe it is almost new

If you want a sound more reminiscent of a Fender amp, then go for the Lone Star Classic since it uses 6L6 power tubes. It can also use EL34's and 6V6 tubes. With Yellow Jacket adapters it could even use EL84 power tubes. On the other hand, the Lone Star Special can only use EL84 power tubes but does let you configure them for lower wattages. The Lone Star Special being an EL84 based amp gets more of a jangley tone like the Vox AC30's. They both sound great, but it just depends what sound you’re going for. I personally prefer the Lone Star Classic, but lots of people on this board swear by the LSS. I bought my LSC brand new for $1799.

I appreciate the advice..There is a Custom Shop Classic for 1999.00 I have been considering. My main interest in the LSS over the Classic is due to the volume issue. The Classic played at the right volume would be to loud inside a home. Unless you used a Hot plate. I am not sure Hot plates are that great of an idea. Thats why I was considering a LSS to get the sound from the tubes without blowing out my windows. Am I on the right track. Any suggestions would help.. My music interests are anything good. From the 60's to the present. I like the beatles. But I have also heard some Seven Dust I like as well. So I want a Versatile amp. But my main issue is NOISE.

Thanks again

You still own Fenders ... right?

Then go for the LoneStar Special for a different sound and like you mentioned, lower volume (remember you are going to sacrifice "headroom" clean). But if you want to retain some Fenderish, go for LoneStar Classic.

Just my opinion.

Fendertillnow said:
My main interest in the LSS over the Classic is due to the volume issue. The Classic played at the right volume would be to loud inside a home. Unless you used a Hot plate.

I actually am currently using my LSC at low volume in my house and it sounds great. I have an 8 ohm Hot Plate that I don't use anymore because I found it wasn't really necessary with this amp. This is the first 100 watt amp that I have owned that actually sounds good at low volume.

You may want to do a little more research on the 5 watt mode of the LSS, because a lot of people don't seem to like it. A lot of people say it gets really muddy in 5 watt mode and the clean channel breaks up too early. This is based purely on what I have read in various forums and not on personal experience, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think I will take your advice. What about 1x12 verses 2x12 in this amp. I have also been looking at what the guy is calling a blue bronco. Is that just a previous year or a different color. Does anybody out there know what the Lonestar classic sounds like in a custom cab?

What of the Nomad. It is clear the Lonestar has more craftmanship.

I should also mention I just purchased a Line6 POD XT I plan to run through whatever I get.

Lonestar = Lexus, Nomad = Toyota
Please, do yourself a favor, if this is going to be your "house" amp, don't settle for a Nomad, get the Lonestar. I tell my wife all the time that the day she sees me trade my Rectoverb for a Lonestar, is the day my gigging days are over.

Fendertillnow said:
I think I will take your advice. What about 1x12 verses 2x12 in this amp. I have also been looking at what the guy is calling a blue bronco. Is that just a previous year or a different color. Does anybody out there know what the Lonestar classic sounds like in a custom cab?

What of the Nomad. It is clear the Lonestar has more craftmanship.

I should also mention I just purchased a Line6 POD XT I plan to run through whatever I get.

Fendertillnow said:
What about 1x12 verses 2x12 in this amp. I have also been looking at what the guy is calling a blue bronco.

I have the 2x12 combo and it really kicks butt, but I have heard that the guys that work at Mesa actually prefer the 1x12 combo. The 1x12 combo is the same size as the 2x12 combo. The Blue Bronco is just the default color scheme that they use for the LSC. I have the black and tan scheme. Check it out:
Lonestar.jpg

I live in Michigan and have contacted the dealers there. No one has one in-stock. Anybody know of a Dealer that might. Maybe a website

I bought the LSS 1x12 and at first loved it. But I realized after more playing time I wanted a louder clean. Back to GC and this time came home with a TRRI. Played that and loved the loud clean tones. Using a TS9 the breakup tones were good but not what I was looking for. Back to GC and this time I came home with LSC2x12. Clean, dirty tones at low or loud volumes. This amp does it all very well.
The LSC has got to be one of the best thought out amps ever made. I like the 2x12 config more. 50 watt setting is plenty loud, but it's nice to know there are 2 more 6L6's on standby at 100 watts. Drive channel has many options. 110 or 93 volt power settings offers up normal or tweed tone. Fan, casters, looks. This amp covers all the bases.
Simply put, the LSC is a TRRI and a DRRI with Mesa stamped all over it in one cabinet.

Added thought, Is the $1400 price for a new one? Mesa doesn't usually let dealers discount , but we know that ain't written stone. My LSC had been my local GC for awhile, had a small tear in the grill cloth, listed for $1800. I got it for $1500. Your price is a good deal new or used.

I wanted a Vox, but wasn't turned on by the Vox construction, so I got the LSS 2x12 and I love the amp. Also have a Twin RI, gives me everything I need for classic rock. The LSC would have been my choice only if I didn't have the Twin, you can even use EL tubes in the Classic.

my advice on the LSS...Dont buy it...Ive had a lot of trouble with mine...many people love em, and the sound is great, but I wouldnt recommend one because of reliability issues...I just got mine out of the shop for the 3rd time in the 6 months Ive owned it.. For the same problem which is a reverb feedback between the amp and the reverb unit...My personal opinion is the reverb is too close to the speaker, and it causes feedback...The cabinet shoulda been made larger to accomodate the reverb unit without it being mounted so close to the speaker...If the problem isnt solved this time, Im going to mount the reverb unit in a seperate cabinet...It plugs into the amp, so it shoud be an easy fix....anyone else out there having this problem??

I'll add the LSS 1x12 I first bought at GC last fall crapped out after 2 weeks. GC gave me a new one in a box no questions asked.

ol4t A TRRI and a LSC sounds like the perfect rig.

I own a LSS 1x12 and a 1x12 ext cab.

Best amp I've ever owned, best cleans I've ever heard, and the Class-A crunch is super sweet. Throw in any effect you may want to use in the serial effect loop and it's all covered.

To my ears, the LSC was too muddy. But that's my personal tastes in the tubes used between the two, methinks.

I run mine in 15 watt or 5 watt mode. Less is more with the settings and drive.

picnic said:
I'll add the LSS 1x12 I first bought at GC last fall crapped out after 2 weeks. GC gave me a new one in a box no questions asked.

You mean TRRI and LSS? I really like the mix, the LSS has a distinctive classic sound, no pedals really necessary. The TRRI is a LOUD, clean amp, great for pedals and has the vibrato.

Bloozman said:
my advice on the LSS...Dont buy it...Ive had a lot of trouble with mine...many people love em, and the sound is great, but I wouldnt recommend one because of reliability issues...
Yeah, that bothers me what I read in Harmony Central about great sounding amp but reliability issues.

Bloozman, is yours the most early LSS or was it a current one? I was hoping these "reliability issues" were ironed out with latest batch of LSS.

which one of these should I buy LLS or the LLC ..I thought I was told earlier the 5 watts wasn't very good..is that wrong???Someone please be alittle more elaborate. I want this for my home and a general rule of thumb a 50 watt amp turn up 1/2 way is extremely loud in a house. That was my original thinking. I am definately mostly concerned with the clean sound..as I mentioned I have a Line6 PODXT..Please clarify the remarks please

ol4t said:
picnic said:

You mean TRRI and LSS? I really like the mix, the LSS has a distinctive classic sound, no pedals really necessary. The TRRI is a LOUD, clean amp, great for pedals and has the vibrato.

Actually I'd like to have a TRRI and a DRRI in one box. I like the 6L6 tone more. I never heard or saw a LSS 2x12. Mesa, IMO put the TR and Dr in the Classic and added some more worth while features when it designed the LSC too.
When I was looking "The amp" I was not the most knowledgeable, but I new the sound I wanted. After playing the LSS and learning that el84's and 6L6's offer different tones, I realized the 6L6 tone was what I was hearing in my head. If you want a el84 tone the LSC gives you the option of switching to el84 bias with a switch on the back panel. I play alot at home and gig with friends informally. I sit in with bands that play summer bbq's at my picnic grounds. The LSS wasn't powerful enough and micing wasn't really an option. The LSC can handle any situation I may get into.

Back