Looking for this tone, warm and smooth

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacksonUSA

Reaction score
Hey first post here

I checked a few amps to see if I could get this tone out of a different amp than the Brunetti. People told me the Carvin Legacy couldn't get there and I listened to various ENGL amps and I never found that warmth in their clips

I know there's some eqing in that clip and all but I love the tone. I was thinking maybe the Roadking could get in that territory or the Stiletto perhaps.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/JacksonRR5/?action=view&current=Kiko-1.flv

Thanks

Well, that's Kiko Loureiro and he uses Laney amps so why not try a Laney out? I mean, if you want a Laney sound, buy a Laney. If you want a Mesa sound, buy a Mesa.

EDIT: Let me correct myself. Kiko used to use Laney amps but is now endorsed by Brunetti Amps. He uses a Brunetti Mercury.

well yeah I know all that

I was asking if I could get this type of tone from a different amp

man that dude rips!

Anyways, look into a Mark IV. This amp will definitely get you into that realm. These amps are very warm and smooth, but can be aggressive when you want them to be. Rectifiers are not as good for this type of playing. They are mostly rhythm guitar amps and are not intended for solo and lead work as much.

I've got 2 words for you - Soldano (you have to pronounce the dash :) )
or a Marshall. I hear a lot of Schenker in that tone and he exclusively uses Marshalls. My fear there is that most of them are pretty inconsistent. Try a Budda also, I just tried an 18 watter and am seriously considering trading my Rectoverb for it. (well not THAT seriously)

JacksonUSA said:
Hey first post here

I checked a few amps to see if I could get this tone out of a different amp than the Brunetti. People told me the Carvin Legacy couldn't get there and I listened to various ENGL amps and I never found that warmth in their clips

I know there's some eqing in that clip and all but I love the tone. I was thinking maybe the Roadking could get in that territory or the Stiletto perhaps.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/JacksonRR5/?action=view&current=Kiko-1.flv

Thanks

Elpelotero said:
Rectifiers are mostly rhythm guitar amps and are not intended for solo and lead work as much.
:shock: :eek: :? :!: :?:

Try this:

Gain:9'o clock
Treble:1'o clock
Mid/Bass:12' o clock
Prescence:7' o clock
Master:5'o clock
Output:9' o clock
Solo:5' o clock
Mode:Vintage

I use C-90 speakers and the stock tubes that came with the amp.this set up is extremely loud with my 50 watt rectoverb.......

Cleekster said:
Elpelotero said:
Rectifiers are mostly rhythm guitar amps and are not intended for solo and lead work as much.

Try this:

I use C-90 speakers and the stock tubes that came with the amp.this set up is extremely loud with my 50 watt rectoverb.......

Gain at only 9:00?

BTW,

I've seen this posted at Carvin.com and love this tone. I've been considering selling my RKII to get a Brunetti.

CudBucket said:
Cleekster said:
Elpelotero said:

Try this:

Gain at only 9:00?

BTW,

I've seen this posted at Carvin.com and love this tone. I've been considering selling my RKII to get a Brunetti.

hehe, yeah I'm looking around and see what's best

rabies said:
If you want warm/smooth, go for 6L6 in the power section. EL34 are abrasive and harsh (think Ministry).

A lot of people on here say that Rectos are not good for leads, but I think it depends on your situation. If you're doing modal jazz leads (a la Kind of Blue) then my RK1 is great for that in ch 3, raw mode, triode, 2xEL34 + 2x6L6 and settings near noon. Pickups/gtr make a big difference as well.

Rectos are not recognized for good leads in rock b/c they don't cut thru the mix as well as Marshalls, and don't respond as well to wah pedals as Marshalls, for example.

But I think the RK1 and Mk III g.s. are fantastic amps for certain lead work.

I'm not sure what to think of tubes sometimes. In a way some of the smoothest amps available use El-34s, on the other hand a bunch of clips I've listenend to have that gritty sound, which isn't bad by any means but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. In the clip it's a Mercury with EL-34s so ...

btw, I'm using Suhr SSH+ pickups on a mahogany-basswood Washburn Culprit guitar

btw, is there much of a difference between a Mark IV and III ?

and anybody has that link to the site that tells the difference between the different stripes on a III ?

Depends on which Recto...my Rectoverb sounds like anything I want it to (well maybe not ANYTHING :) )
I play 70's- 80's style hard rock(Schenker, Schon, Gary Moore) and the amp in Vintage mode works fine.

rabies said:
The Rectos are boring and good for specific types of metal.

Back