Looking for a good tube tester, which one?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what you want to do with it.Most testers are basically going to tell you good/bad and not much more.The high end Hickok 539's have a noise test which can be useful,but you can do do a "noise test" by sticking the tube in your amp and listening. http://www.alltubetesters.com/index.htm This site has some useful info on testers and what they will do.I buy a lot of NOS tubes from various sources and use a Weston 981 for preliminary testing.Years ago I had a Hickok 539 which is,in my experience,one of the best,but one in good working order will cost over a grand.Stay away from the emmission type and find a mutual conductance type.At least with the mutual conductance type you can match tubes for transconductance,although I still prefer to match tubes by current draw.That link I posted will give you some good info.

:D Thanks for the info Stokes. I will look for a good one.

Mostly, it's for me to be able to tell if old tubes I find at yard sales and in my attic are any good.

I do have the offer to buy new production tubes at great discounts, and have been thinking about doing something like what Bob at Eurotubes does.

Thanks again for the great link, it is very appreciated.

Andy

Okay,but be aware that Bob at Eurotubes and most other tube suppliers that sell pre-graded tubes use more complex,very expensive gear than simple tube testers.

If you check his site,you will see some of the gear he uses.The Maxi-Matcher and the VTV preamp tube characterizer are over $1000 each
http://www.amplitrex.com/at1000.html heres a nice one,but for that price,you would need an operation as big as Euro to make it pay.

That is a lot of money.

I would be willing to bet that there is enough room for a few more guys to do what Bob does. Look how popular Ruby tubes is now.

Are you the Stokes that is famous for modding Princetons?

No,thats not me,different stokes.If you are serious about selling tubes,that gear is certainly worth the investment.Ruby tubes has been around for some time,I remember first seeing ads for them in the late '80's or early '90's.I think Dougs is one of the newer suppliers,he gets good reviews around the 'net.I would have to think that you have to discard a lot of tubes when buying huge stocks of current production tubes,so you must sell a lot to make it pay.Good luck with it,maybe one day these guys will be buying Monsta-Tone tubes.

Yeah, I hear you there. I've had pretty good luck with JJ's, only a few preamp tubes have been bad so far. Mostly microphonics. Someone here suggested using them in the PI, I'll have to try that.

Maybe that's why the Mesa PI tube has the heatshrink on it. :lol:

I have had quite a few of the GT Mullard Reissue tubes go bad within a few minutes. Really sad though because they sounded incredible.

Thanks for all the advice man, I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back