Look what I brought home.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Schecter Tempest Custom in white:D

I plan on changing the pickups though.
10030309yq.jpg

8)

My Schecter C-1 Exotic definitely benefitted from new pups. I put a Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and an Alnico II Pro in the neck.

i've always loved the design/shape of this guitar....i actually own two jerry horton signature models(the original version that was modeled after the c1 but with real duncans.)

just a few questions comments i could use some feedback on:

-when i looked at the specs on musicians friend, it said that it had a "3 piece mahagony neck" just wondering what they mean by '3 piece?'

-also noticed that it's 24-3/4" scale. I think my jerry horton's are an inch longer in scale..just wondering what are the benefits of longer/shorter scale lengths?

-noticed that it has Duncan Designed HB-102 pickups. I am VERY skeptical if these things sound good compared to real duncans. just wondering if anyone has tried them?

-also noticed its got a coil tap as well which is a unique feature for a guitar of this style

any and all feedback would be appreciated thanks!

I actually sold it two days after I bought it. The pickups were very muddy and after playing the guitar for a while it felt kind of cheap. Like Epiphone Cheap. I ended up selling it with a pair of dimarzio pickups.

I don't really know what they mean by 3 piece.

Its a decent guitar for the budget, but I prefer PRS SE models for $500.

Tell me about the Jerry Horton ones. Post some pics of them. Im really interested in seeing what they look like from up close.
How much did you pay for them?

Jerry-Horton-Signature-lg.jpg

as far as the Jerry Horton guitar, let me tell you right now - THIS AXE IS THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE BIZ!...I'm fer serious and I'll tell ya why. PEOPLE , FOR THE MOST PART, ESPECIALLY IDEALISTIC GUITAR SNOBS ARE STUPID. Why, you ask?....well, they'll play a guitar not because it SOUNDS good but only because it fits there ego.

I was STUNNED at teh quality of the Jerry Horton sig model and purchased two of them at the same time a couple years ago and have swore by them since. I have owned PRS, LP Custom, BC Rich, etc and I know about good hard rock tone...(ie: tube amps, don't use emgs and DON't scoop mids..LOL)....I have had soooo many douche-bags say to me, "oh dude, I wouldn't be caught dead with that cheesy roach nu metal guitar." yeah, well i could really care less if it was an Andy Dick sig series in hot pink finish with flames on it, if it sounds good, it sounds good...(ok, well maybe the finish is a bit much, but you get the point)......

This guitar is a PRO guitar, rosewood neck, REAL duncan pu's, grover tuners, tone pros bridge, mahagony body and a great mid range basic tone. When i purchased both of mine at GC a couple years ago, they were a closeout model cuz nobody would buy it with a roach on it, so i got it for $400 i believe, INCLUDING a hardshell case!!!! These guitars retail for almost $1k and thats still fair considering the parts used...

the only thing i've had problems with is and its not really a problem as much as it is personal preference. The toggle switch is kinda light, idk>,,,it kind of switches easy and sometimes goes back to the middle position, but i have to have it looked at, no biggie....oh yeah, THE THING STAYS IN TUNE LIKE A MUTHA!!!!.... I am the most anal guitar purist when it comes to tuning/intonation stability and let me tell ya this thing is rock soldid for tuning.....i haven't had mine set up with new strings in over 1.5 year and the thing stays in tune perfectly with exception to to some minor intonation probs, but i haven't changed the strings in two years so thats expected!!! (it wasnt my main guitar for a while thats why i didnt change the strings)

oh yeah, i can understand about being concerned with playing a sig model with someone else's name. actually i came across a good idea i might look into. on ebay, there was one that had the finish sanded off, then you can lacker it if ya want and ya got a beautiful earthy wood finish-i think that looks very hip! check it out: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/0f/c7/ed_1.JPG&imgrefurl=http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-GUITAR-JERRY-HORTON-PAPA-ROACH_W0QQitemZ280018465482QQihZ018QQcategoryZ121166QQcmdZViewItem&h=300&w=400&sz=22&hl=en&start=9&tbnid=k3d__Fk39w9BsM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dschecter%2Bjerry%2Bhorton%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

over all, this axe is prolly not super versatile, BUT i think most people are just lookin for a straigt up kick ***, no nonsense rock tone and thats what this thing does.(please take my poking fun at guitarists thingy with a grain of salt, i kid...LOL :) ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED...i love brainstorming about stuff like this, it only helps!

fmbighair said:
Jerry-Horton-Signature-lg.jpg

as far as the Jerry Horton guitar, let me tell you right now - THIS AXE IS THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE BIZ!...I'm fer serious and I'll tell ya why. PEOPLE , FOR THE MOST PART, ESPECIALLY IDEALISTIC GUITAR SNOBS ARE STUPID. Why, you ask?....well, they'll play a guitar not because it SOUNDS good but only because it fits there ego.

I was STUNNED at teh quality of the Jerry Horton sig model and purchased two of them at the same time a couple years ago and have swore by them since. I have owned PRS, LP Custom, BC Rich, etc and I know about good hard rock tone...(ie: tube amps, don't use emgs and DON't scoop mids..LOL)....I have had soooo many douche-bags say to me, "oh dude, I wouldn't be caught dead with that cheesy roach nu metal guitar." yeah, well i could really care less if it was an Andy Dick sig series in hot pink finish with flames on it, if it sounds good, it sounds good...(ok, well maybe the finish is a bit much, but you get the point)......

This guitar is a PRO guitar, rosewood neck, REAL duncan pu's, grover tuners, tone pros bridge, mahagony body and a great mid range basic tone. When i purchased both of mine at GC a couple years ago, they were a closeout model cuz nobody would buy it with a roach on it, so i got it for $400 i believe, INCLUDING a hardshell case!!!! These guitars retail for almost $1k and thats still fair considering the parts used...

the only thing i've had problems with is and its not really a problem as much as it is personal preference. The toggle switch is kinda light, idk>,,,it kind of switches easy and sometimes goes back to the middle position, but i have to have it looked at, no biggie....oh yeah, THE THING STAYS IN TUNE LIKE A MUTHA!!!!.... I am the most anal guitar purist when it comes to tuning/intonation stability and let me tell ya this thing is rock soldid for tuning.....i haven't had mine set up with new strings in over 1.5 year and the thing stays in tune perfectly with exception to to some minor intonation probs, but i haven't changed the strings in two years so thats expected!!! (it wasnt my main guitar for a while thats why i didnt change the strings)

oh yeah, i can understand about being concerned with playing a sig model with someone else's name. actually i came across a good idea i might look into. on ebay, there was one that had the finish sanded off, then you can lacker it if ya want and ya got a beautiful earthy wood finish-i think that looks very hip! check it out: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/0f/c7/ed_1.JPG&imgrefurl=http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-GUITAR-JERRY-HORTON-PAPA-ROACH_W0QQitemZ280018465482QQihZ018QQcategoryZ121166QQcmdZViewItem&h=300&w=400&sz=22&hl=en&start=9&tbnid=k3d__Fk39w9BsM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dschecter%2Bjerry%2Bhorton%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

over all, this axe is prolly not super versatile, BUT i think most people are just lookin for a straigt up kick ***, no nonsense rock tone and thats what this thing does.(please take my poking fun at guitarists thingy with a grain of salt, i kid...LOL :) ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED...i love brainstorming about stuff like this, it only helps!

:lol:

um, ok?...LOL.... when i said any and all comments would be welcomed, i'm not sure if a single smiley counts cuz i dont know what that means...he he

i see james in your sig, he's my hero!....that wood grain guitar he's playing, thats his esp sig model, no?

so, i'm just curious if i'm outta my mind with my 'Horton take'?....

its just that the stubbornness with people just boggles my mind...this isn't necesarily directed to anybody on this board, i'm just venting... :(

by the way, answer my other post about your old LP....please!...g ****, its freakin beautiful,.....

Latest posts

Back